07+ Brake upgrade on a 00-06 NBS, is it worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i upgraded i went with R-1 E-line slotted and drilled rotors and SS lines too and i think it made a big difference. I never really had a reason to slam on the brakes with them installed until a few months ago when i was towing my 6x12 trailer with my yamaha rhino on it going about 75 when the traffic came to a sudden stop from an accident. I was behind a tractor trailer so i couldn`t see brake lights in front of him and i`m sure that with the stock brakes i would have slammed into him but i easily stopped with a few car lengths to spare.
Worth every penny then

pnwdan

Cunning linguist
Reaction score
I haven't done it but my co worker has a 2000 Suburban 1500 he tows a trailer with and I told him about the conversion so he ran out and did it that weekend. he said its a big difference.

Pachanga02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did it years ago with my stock wheels and noticed a difference right away. I already had newish pads and rotors but couldn't pass the deal I got on the new combo. I only had stock wheels at the time and driving in traffic I felt it grab faster then it would have with my old setup. I'd suggest it.

lowAZhoe

Resident GM Tech
Reaction score
I did it. It's a little better. But not really noticeable. I now have a brembo kit that uses stock caliper with larger rotors and that really made a big difference.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@lowAZhoe

You have more details on the Brembo rotors using the stock calipers?

Definitely applicable whatever you can share for those of us on the fence with trying to gets the beasts to stop. Thanks man.

khaled_94

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
im wondering since the front GMT900 is 13" with single piston and the rear GMT800 is 13" with dual piston
can i just install the front GMT900 Rotors instead of GMT800 rear rotors?

cuz in my area we have gmt900 spare parts more than gmt800

pnwdan

Cunning linguist
Reaction score
@lowAZhoe

You have more details on the Brembo rotors using the stock calipers?

Definitely applicable whatever you can share for those of us on the fence with trying to gets the beasts to stop. Thanks man.
I believe you can order a similar SSB kit from summit

lowAZhoe

Resident GM Tech
Reaction score
Fosscore I don't think brembo makes it anymore or at least that I found. But Baer makes a kit that is similar. It uses a bracket to use the stock caliper on a larger rotor.

I originally swapped brakes off a 2007 escalade. It had drilled and slotted front and rear stock replacements. I knew the front was a direct swap. But the rear didn't work. The NBS backing plate is bigger than NNBS. I would of had to trim them or take them off. And for really no gains it wasn't worth it. And if I remember right the NBS is double piston and NNBS is single. So I left the rear alone. The braking was slightly better. But looked better due to their size. A friend was trading his 02 Silverado in and it had a brembo kit with rear rotors to match the fronts. So these brakes really stop when I ask it to. Plus I have hydroboost and stainless lines. The lines made an improvement. Less spongy.

I don't think the swap for NNBS is worth it though. Unless you have the parts for free or very cheap. And they are only slightly bigger.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im wondering since the front GMT900 is 13" with single piston and the rear GMT800 is 13" with dual piston
can i just install the front GMT900 Rotors instead of GMT800 rear rotors?

cuz in my area we have gmt900 spare parts more than gmt800

I understood the mod is actually to install GMT900 (07-14) front rotors and calipers/brackets on the front of a GMT800 (00-06) truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos