'02 Tahoe custom cluster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 389302
This is 3 layers of blue (not dark blue)
1 layer of red, and 3 more blue on top
I wonder what it looks like on a sunny day. That was my problem, by the time I got enough layers (2-3?) for it to look blue I couldn’t see it worth a damn on a sunny day. Maybe the 03-up are brighter or somehow different but my 02 didn’t want to cooperate. It drove me crazy so I removed everything.

OP
OP
Electrician

Electrician

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The main problem of getting pure blue is the original turquoise (green+blue) color of the display. Green light is green light. Blue light is blue. So by filtering out all of the green, you essentially got half the light left: blue at half original brightness. I'm not sure about the color/brightness of the 03+ clusters. I feel like alot of the online pics (guys trying to sell modded clusters on ebay, etc) with crazy blue bright displays is maybe a bit of "photo filtering".

Last edited:
OP
OP
Electrician

Electrician

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know how the photography filter compares, but I used blue window tint years ago on my '02 S10. Gave it a bit of an "icy" blue color. I don't remember how many layers I used- two, maybe three. It was taken back around '05-'06 with a 3.2mp camera, so the quality and color might not be so accurate. It wasn't this blurry in real life, for sure:

View attachment 389177

From the film you gave me. I only used 1 layer.View attachment 389183View attachment 389184View attachment 389185
Looks bluer in person.
That does look good. I'm gonna have to try it. Do you remember the brand by chance?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That does look good. I'm gonna have to try it. Do you remember the brand by chance?

This was 16+ years ago. It was some blue window tint I bought from Walmart or one of the parts stores. "Gila Xtreme" comes to mind. Pretty sure they don't make it any more, but there are other brands. I sent some to @Tonyrodz a few years ago to do his. I can't recall if I threw the rest away after that or not. A lot of it was wrinkled from being squashed in storage and I had to cut out some rectangles from undamaged sections for Tony. I'll let you know if I find it and can send you some.

OP
OP
Electrician

Electrician

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I decided to go ahead and complete my custom cluster version 2 even tho my truck is out of commision (maybe forever). I'm doing the final tweeks and a little bit of programming and I'll call this one finished. Pics are coming soon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep