Questions Help about 2007 Tahoe Instrument Cluster / Key Fobs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
thefirebirdman
Reaction score
There is a thread on this forum of where guys live who have a Tech-2. DIC menu options can also change when GM Accessories are programmed into the vehicle such as the Tilt and Shock Sensors or 2-Way Advanced Remote Start.

I assume said options are programmed into the ECM? If so, since the ECM hasn't changed in my truck it still makes me wonder why different clusters have different options. Is there programming that has to occur that is specific to the clusters themselves?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume said options are programmed into the ECM? If so, since the ECM hasn't changed in my truck it still makes me wonder why different clusters have different options. Is there programming that has to occur that is specific to the clusters themselves?
Yes, the clusters and BCM and others too possibly. It's an integrated system. Then you also have year to year differences such as the 2007-2010 or so trucks could initiate a tire relearn through the DIC and lose air pressure while later models must use those $10 wands.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cluster needs to be programmed to your VIN with a tech2 in the same way the driver door switch module does, so the modules as in cluster or switches are aware of the vehicle's options. That's the reason if you were to swap in an Escalade cluster (which is a lot of work in order to make it look right) you would end up with a couple DIC messages regarding options your vehicle doesn't have- because the programming won't accept that cluster for your VIN so you can't program options, only mileage which is done without a VIN, out of the vehicle.

OP
OP
thefirebirdman
Reaction score
The cluster needs to be programmed to your VIN with a tech2 in the same way the driver door switch module does, so the modules as in cluster or switches are aware of the vehicle's options. That's the reason if you were to swap in an Escalade cluster (which is a lot of work in order to make it look right) you would end up with a couple DIC messages regarding options your vehicle doesn't have- because the programming won't accept that cluster for your VIN so you can't program options, only mileage which is done without a VIN, out of the vehicle.
Is there any way to verify when a cluster has been programmed for a specific VIN or is it only reflected in the options available. I took the cluster to a local shop who repaired the solder joints for the MOSFET that goes bad due to said bad solder joints and he re-programmed the mileage for me but the guy swore up and down there was no "VIN Specific" configuration required for the cluster. So I'm wondering how do I even know if I need it? I've been driving around with the new "used" cluster a couple of days now and all seems fine. If this is something you guys think I really need to do, I may need to see if a forum member with a Tech 2 will volunteer to do it (or do it for a fee, not sure how that works). No one here local where I am has a clue. Looks like we have forum members in Houston and Dallas that have Tech 2s so I could reach out to them. Thoughts?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to verify when a cluster has been programmed for a specific VIN or is it only reflected in the options available. I took the cluster to a local shop who repaired the solder joints for the MOSFET that goes bad due to said bad solder joints and he re-programmed the mileage for me but the guy swore up and down there was no "VIN Specific" configuration required for the cluster. So I'm wondering how do I even know if I need it? I've been driving around with the new "used" cluster a couple of days now and all seems fine. If this is something you guys think I really need to do, I may need to see if a forum member with a Tech 2 will volunteer to do it (or do it for a fee, not sure how that works). No one here local where I am has a clue. Looks like we have forum members in Houston and Dallas that have Tech 2s so I could reach out to them. Thoughts?
AFAIK there is no way to know what VIN a module is programmed to. I believe what happens when one is programmed is the VIN is simply used to look up which options are on the vehicle and that information is used to set the same options in the module. I know for instance if you remove a module like a driver door switch module from one vehicle and put it into another vehicle, it doesn't stop working. It just assumes the new vehicle has the same options and acts accordingly. So if your cluster is working correctly, you shouldn't need to be concerned. It doesn't store the actual VIN, just the options that vehicle had. Hope that makes sense.

OP
OP
thefirebirdman
Reaction score
AFAIK there is no way to know what VIN a module is programmed to. I believe what happens when one is programmed is the VIN is simply used to look up which options are on the vehicle and that information is used to set the same options in the module. I know for instance if you remove a module like a driver door switch module from one vehicle and put it into another vehicle, it doesn't stop working. It just assumes the new vehicle has the same options and acts accordingly. So if your cluster is working correctly, you shouldn't need to be concerned. It doesn't store the actual VIN, just the options that vehicle had. Hope that makes sense.
It does!! Thanks for all the help on this. Other than getting the oil life % working (which I am hoping is also a re-learn procedure), I think I'm good to go with this new cluster. Only took me 5 years to get it addressed lol. Dash and other goodies are on the way. I think my new key FOBs from Boost Auto are supposed to show up today.

OP
OP
thefirebirdman
Reaction score
Final Update (I hope). With a new dash sitting in the garage waiting to be installed I took the Tahoe down to my local Chevy Dealer here to look at the Oil Life Percentage issue in the (new-to-me) used cluster I installed. The last hurdle to getting back to the normal OEM cluster with OEM functions I had six years ago BEFORE I took it in for a "cluster repair".

According to the Dealer, the percentage is not working because I installed a "salvage yard" cluster (they weren't wrong lol) and it now needed to be re-coded for my truck. So 1 point for @Rocket Man and 0 points for the local "Cluster Repair" guy who said nothing else needed to be coded to the cluster except the mileage. Note to others here: There are hundreds of places to get a cluster "repaired" but take it from me, most probably only know how to fix the solder joint and/or replace the bad diode and update your mileage, that's it. If you swapped clusters (or now have to swap clusters due to a "failed" repair) they are NOT going to know how to address the other issues I listed below. The Dealer charged me too much for this coding service ~$250 but it works again and FINALLY, 6 years later I have a 100% functioning cluster again WITH the DIC repair.

So word of advice to other owners. If you run into the problem with the DIC display, if all they do is repair the solder joint for the diode in question or replace the diode on your original cluster and re-install you will probably be just fine. If however, there is any problem with your cluster or they "mis-handle" the repair and you have to install a used one from a salvage yard etc... please keep these things in mind:

1) Depending on the cluster you get, it may be "coded" for different options as seen in this thread. In my original cluster I had the option to re-learn new keyless entry remotes but not the option to re-learn the TPMS sensors. The used cluster the original "repair" shop sold me had the opposite. It had the option to re-learn TPMS but not re-learn new remotes. In my opinion this was a problem because there is a way to re-learn the TPMS sensors without using the DIC at all. I am not aware of a method to re-learn new remotes without using the DIC. If someone else has a verified way of doing it, feel free to post the steps here.

2) If you change the instrument cluster, more than likely you will have at least these three problems, maybe others:

1. Your mileage will be incorrect (obvious, but worth listing), this can be fixed but requires the right tool to change it. As mentioned above this is about the only thing the "repair" shops can do.

2. You will likely need to go through the process to have the ECM re-learn the TPMS settings. I posted a link above to do this manually, yourself.

3. You will likely need a dealer to re-code your instrument cluster to restore the functionality of the Oil Life Percentage feature which I find to be useful since its not just strictly a measure of how long its been or how many miles you've travelled but takes several factors into account. This may also be something someone can do with a Tech II but I have not confirmed that.

If there are other "issues" other owners have run into swapping clusters, please feel free to list them here but keep in mind this thread was meant more to document my challenges just swapping from one OEM cluster to another. There are other threads for other types of custom cluster swaps.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Final Update (I hope). With a new dash sitting in the garage waiting to be installed I took the Tahoe down to my local Chevy Dealer here to look at the Oil Life Percentage issue in the (new-to-me) used cluster I installed. The last hurdle to getting back to the normal OEM cluster with OEM functions I had six years ago BEFORE I took it in for a "cluster repair".

According to the Dealer, the percentage is not working because I installed a "salvage yard" cluster (they weren't wrong lol) and it now needed to be re-coded for my truck. So 1 point for @Rocket Man and 0 points for the local "Cluster Repair" guy who said nothing else needed to be coded to the cluster except the mileage. Note to others here: There are hundreds of places to get a cluster "repaired" but take it from me, most probably only know how to fix the solder joint and/or replace the bad diode and update your mileage, that's it. If you swapped clusters (or now have to swap clusters due to a "failed" repair) they are NOT going to know how to address the other issues I listed below. The Dealer charged me too much for this coding service ~$250 but it works again and FINALLY, 6 years later I have a 100% functioning cluster again WITH the DIC repair.

So word of advice to other owners. If you run into the problem with the DIC display, if all they do is repair the solder joint for the diode in question or replace the diode on your original cluster and re-install you will probably be just fine. If however, there is any problem with your cluster or they "mis-handle" the repair and you have to install a used one from a salvage yard etc... please keep these things in mind:

1) Depending on the cluster you get, it may be "coded" for different options as seen in this thread. In my original cluster I had the option to re-learn new keyless entry remotes but not the option to re-learn the TPMS sensors. The used cluster the original "repair" shop sold me had the opposite. It had the option to re-learn TPMS but not re-learn new remotes. In my opinion this was a problem because there is a way to re-learn the TPMS sensors without using the DIC at all. I am not aware of a method to re-learn new remotes without using the DIC. If someone else has a verified way of doing it, feel free to post the steps here.

2) If you change the instrument cluster, more than likely you will have at least these three problems, maybe others:

1. Your mileage will be incorrect (obvious, but worth listing), this can be fixed but requires the right tool to change it. As mentioned above this is about the only thing the "repair" shops can do.

2. You will likely need to go through the process to have the ECM re-learn the TPMS settings. I posted a link above to do this manually, yourself.

3. You will likely need a dealer to re-code your instrument cluster to restore the functionality of the Oil Life Percentage feature which I find to be useful since its not just strictly a measure of how long its been or how many miles you've travelled but takes several factors into account. This may also be something someone can do with a Tech II but I have not confirmed that.

If there are other "issues" other owners have run into swapping clusters, please feel free to list them here but keep in mind this thread was meant more to document my challenges just swapping from one OEM cluster to another. There are other threads for other types of custom cluster swaps.
Wait…I only get 1 point? :hmmm2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Austinsham