Koala's 05 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cut my antenna to super stubby status where it fits under the esky cowl and reception is pretty good, barely lost any reception on FM. Don’t listen to AM. Mostly use Pandora anyway but on the way to work in the mornings I still like to listen to the radio.

OP
OP
KookyKoala

KookyKoala

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet I will try tackling these mods this weekend if i get some time.

Some more Info on Car PC I am fairly happy with the prototyping i have done with it so far its been in the truck, Unfortunately in the middle of the week google released a play services update that broke the Android Auto portion of the software (this has been working great the year i have been bench testing this system, hence why i used Crankshaft-NG as my base for my car pc it just worked and was fairly self explanatory on how to set it up and easily expandable due to huge amount of documentation on raspberry pi and its Debian based operating systems. However this was fixed last night in the code and developer pushed a update to fix android auto. :)

I am hoping i will be able to build my second version of my control box this weekend as well much smaller and cleaner built to better fit behind the dash once i have that figured out i will try to post some documentation on how i achieve the goal. Plus start with regular updates as i add features to my car pc and how it interfaces with our NBS tahoes.

My Goal is next time i pull the car pc out i will be able to wire up and configure steering wheel controls, will be using RC Joycon CPJexc interface to convert steering wheel controls as well as shift stalk + and - buttons to the car computer. this interface is also super useful for those who have shoved a tablet in there dash as well because it works with android.

OP
OP
KookyKoala

KookyKoala

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NNBS Shifter is in tow haul is functioning like it should. :). I will hopefully be able to wire in my steering wheel controls and make the + and - buttons work on the Car PC

20190209_130659.jpg

Pretty Simple to do. you will need to gather tools you will need.
T30 Torx, bit and ratchet.
Small Flat head Screwdriver
7mm socket
Soldering Iron
solder
heat shrink

If you pick up an NNBS shiftier the + and - Buttons will not work buy you can make the tow haul function.

1. You are gonna start by removing the dash trim and the lower knee kick plate.

2. After that gently pop the steering wheel cover off just enough to pull the shift boot grommet it out the way, peek in and gently pull the clips from the steering column there are two black clips holding the wire from the shift lever in place.
20190209_115953.jpg

3. Once that is free i would unplug the other end of the harness you need to keep the plug, so either pick up a spare one at the junk yard or cut your original plug off your shift stalk.

4. Remove the T30 Torx holding your shift handle on the assembly at the top.
20190209_120006.jpg

5. Take your shift handles to your work bench cause now its time to solder it together. Off the NNBS you will have a plug with 4 wires. 2 Black and 2 White wires, we will only need the two white wires to wire in the tow haul switch. this switch is a switch to ground it it its not possible to reverse the polarity of this plug chop grab your spare pig tail or cut off enough to give yourself plenty of room to strip and solder your wires together. dont mind that they are grey and brown on mine mine ended up being cut when i got the shift lever so i had to add some wire and extend them.
20190209_122048.jpg

Since the clips are the same 2 small clips spaced about same distance the part you can weave it back down and plug it back in at the BCM. Reverse install procedure be very careful as to notice what direction your shift boot is in before re installing to save some headache of having it flipped upside down. mine ended up routed a little bit differently due to having to patch and fix the wires so close to the stalk.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
NNBS Shifter is in tow haul is functioning like it should. :). I will hopefully be able to wire in my steering wheel controls and make the + and - buttons work on the Car PC

View attachment 216034

Pretty Simple to do. you will need to gather tools you will need.
T30 Torx, bit and ratchet.
Small Flat head Screwdriver
7mm socket
Soldering Iron
solder
heat shrink

If you pick up an NNBS shiftier the + and - Buttons will not work buy you can make the tow haul function.

1. You are gonna start by removing the dash trim and the lower knee kick plate.

2. After that gently pop the steering wheel cover off just enough to pull the shift boot grommet it out the way, peek in and gently pull the clips from the steering column there are two black clips holding the wire from the shift lever in place.
View attachment 216035

3. Once that is free i would unplug the other end of the harness you need to keep the plug, so either pick up a spare one at the junk yard or cut your original plug off your shift stalk.

4. Remove the T30 Torx holding your shift handle on the assembly at the top.
View attachment 216036

5. Take your shift handles to your work bench cause now its time to solder it together. Off the NNBS you will have a plug with 4 wires. 2 Black and 2 White wires, we will only need the two white wires to wire in the tow haul switch. this switch is a switch to ground it it its not possible to reverse the polarity of this plug chop grab your spare pig tail or cut off enough to give yourself plenty of room to strip and solder your wires together. dont mind that they are grey and brown on mine mine ended up being cut when i got the shift lever so i had to add some wire and extend them.
View attachment 216037

Since the clips are the same 2 small clips spaced about same distance the part you can weave it back down and plug it back in at the BCM. Reverse install procedure be very careful as to notice what direction your shift boot is in before re installing to save some headache of having it flipped upside down. mine ended up routed a little bit differently due to having to patch and fix the wires so close to the stalk.
Were you able to use the NNBS rubber boot for the column cover? I couldn't get mine to work so I had to reuse my old one.

OP
OP
KookyKoala

KookyKoala

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were you able to use the NNBS rubber boot for the column cover? I couldn't get mine to work so I had to reuse my old one.

oh, I ended up using the old boot the new one looked different so I used the old one to make it work aswell i ended up using ur post to get mine put together lol

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure the NNBS boot is different since the column cover looks way different. Only the shifter handle itself fits. Mine didn't come with a new boot.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the esky cowl piece as well. I just laid my antenna down under the front passenger fender beneath the hood. I don’t use my radio. Lol. I have my phone connected and Spotify going like 100% of the time. So I don’t worry about the reception.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I have the esky cowl piece as well. I just laid my antenna down under the front passenger fender beneath the hood. I don’t use my radio. Lol. I have my phone connected and Spotify going like 100% of the time. So I don’t worry about the reception.

How are you connecting your phone? I forget.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are you connecting your phone? I forget.
Bluetooth. And I also have an auxiliary usb cable coming out beside my traction control button that is linked to the ipod setting on my headhunt. I can use that for music integration and it also charges my phone. So I have two options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamnalicea143e