'02 Tahoe custom cluster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Electrician

Electrician

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stepper motors? That's '03 and up. My '02 is air-core motors (99-02). What year do you have? Because the needles are different between the two clusters. I got mine from Ebay I think

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The morphing to red on the tach is AWESOME! Gonna do the same for the speedo? Full red around 80 or 100 seems appropriate.

Is it a lens thing or is it something triggering an RGB controller based on pointer position?

Did you do anything for the odometer/gear selector display or is it still teal green?

OP
OP
Electrician

Electrician

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought some transparent blue stick-on film used for photography lights to put over the odometer area, but it's not really dark enough to do much so I'm gonna have to try a darker one. It helped slightly. And the color changing needles: are really white needles. I have a blue led positioned for the lower half of the gauge, and of course red for the upper. And I blacked out a lot of the underside of the actual needle base so it helps to only picked up the light in a small area (to help avoid a purple needle for half it's sweep) Yes, I am still contimplating doing a sensor/trigger set-up with a controller to actually switch the LEDs on/off accordingly as the needles sweep. Hadn't gotten that far. Just recently finished my head swap and DIC install and probably looking at needing a new altenator soon. Bouncing battery needle :/

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I bought some transparent blue stick-on film used for photography lights to put over the odometer area, but it's not really dark enough to do much so I'm gonna have to try a darker one. It helped slightly. And the color changing needles: are really white needles. I have a blue led positioned for the lower half of the gauge, and of course red for the upper. And I blacked out a lot of the underside of the actual needle base so it helps to only picked up the light in a small area (to help avoid a purple needle for half it's sweep) Yes, I am still contimplating doing a sensor/trigger set-up with a controller to actually switch the LEDs on/off accordingly as the needles sweep. Hadn't gotten that far. Just recently finished my head swap and DIC install and probably looking at needing a new altenator soon. Bouncing battery needle :/
Why not just put a 2nd or even 3rd layer of blue tint on? Might make it dark enough for you.

OP
OP
Electrician

Electrician

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried that. I actually tried like 8 layers once! But it starts to lose clarity for the display with that many.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not just put a 2nd or even 3rd layer of blue tint on? Might make it dark enough for you.

I tried that. I actually tried like 8 layers once! But it starts to lose clarity for the display with that many.
Exactly. On mine, by the time I got it blue enough by adding 2-3 layers of blue tint film I could no longer read the odometer during the day so I just removed it all.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I don't know how the photography filter compares, but I used blue window tint years ago on my '02 S10. Gave it a bit of an "icy" blue color. I don't remember how many layers I used- two, maybe three. It was taken back around '05-'06 with a 3.2mp camera, so the quality and color might not be so accurate. It wasn't this blurry in real life, for sure:

S10BlueGauges.png

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I don't know how the photography filter compares, but I used blue window tint years ago on my '02 S10. Gave it a bit of an "icy" blue color. I don't remember how many layers I used- two, maybe three. It was taken back around '05-'06 with a 3.2mp camera, so the quality and color might not be so accurate. It wasn't this blurry in real life, for sure:

View attachment 389177
From the film you gave me. I only used 1 layer.20180923_132654.jpg20180924_200044.jpg20180923_142918.jpg
Looks bluer in person.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157