02 Base for my son

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
Radio install is pretty basic and straight forward. I got all the adapters from Crutchfield along with the speaker mounting brackets. Jack came by on Saturday from his moms house and connected the radio harness to the adapter harness using heat shrink but connectors. I was still pulling the rear suspension at that time so I wasn’t gonna have him solder and heat shrink like I normally do when installing radios.
I made him take the dash apart and pull the factory radio and speakers without doing it for him. Told him that how you gotta learn. He started to struggle a little bit figuring out how the speaker brackets worked. They needed to be trimmed a little and I had to show him how some of the tabs were made to snap off depending on application. That’s about as far as he made it before he wanted to run off with his girlfriend.
After I had all the parts off the rear I went ahead and installed the passenger door speaker using the trimmed bracket and wiring adapter. Went to the drivers side and when I was plugging in the adapter I noticed the green wire with black stripe was going to the positive on the adapter. The wires that attach to speaker have one small female spade connector and one big. I could cut them off and put on new but I’d rather have the negative to black and positive to white so I’m gonna swap the pins in the connector. Then I realized the passenger door was probably the same so I pulled that speaker back out and it sure was.
I was getting tired, the wife wanted to go to her girlfriends house for a few drinks so of course that means I gotta go too and make small talk with her friends guy. But before I went and cleaned up I took a look at the harness Jack put together and it was all good except for the wires going into the adapter harness didn’t match the factory plug. Remote wire was to a speaker wire, illumination dim had nothing on the factory side and all the speaker wires didn’t go to the correct speakers if at all. So I unplugged that and thankfully the key was never turned on so nothing got messed up. I’ll have to repin the adapter harness also. I’ll contact crutchfield and let them know it wasn’t right just so nobody else gets screwed.

Yesterday when I got home from work Josh came out to see if he could help. I had him at sandblast cabinet which was awesome. I pulled the tweeters and had to make a mounting bracket for the new tweeters. While I was doing this I got a call from work telling me afternoon guy called off so I had to go in early. That cut is short but I did get the brackets made.

Here’s what I had to work with.
FF702856-DBFB-48C2-A69E-1CD43E53B3A9.jpeg

This is how the factory tweeter was mounted.
C398A562-EEA7-496F-8143-B8E5B04A403E.jpeg

I found some 1/8 thick plastic sheet and cut it for brackets.
B1479249-5EB0-4EE8-B142-0BDCD84C0A87.jpeg

C481F809-44FF-43CB-9B12-7F8B25047FD7.jpeg

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
I think Jack will be happy with that car. Good job Jim. Also good job as a dad to take care of the lady he hit--him paying you back says what kind of kid he is!
Thanks brother. He really is a good kid. Sometimes I’m a little tough on (guess I can’t say hard 0n) him about stuff but only because he has a brain and I know what he’s capable of. I know we all learn by making mistakes but teaching him accountability is just as if not more important.
Love your stories and tenacious determination for absolute completion of a task. And mad skills across many projects.

I second all of Tony’s comments above.

So much good work and concern for many others.

Inspiring and complimentary. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
I really appreciate that. You all know I can be long winded but as I’m putting my thoughts to the post I’m trying to be specific and cover any questions that I think I would have. As much as I would like to be upgrading and modifying my stuff daily, there’s always a lot of stuff that has to get done as well. I probably share too much stuff on here being a Tahoe/Yukon forum but I enjoy seeing other projects or jobs and how people work thru them. The interactions I have with you guys are uplifting and supportive. When I’m absent from the site for awhile, it’s only because I don’t have 20 minutes to post. But I do check in and read up on you guys.

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really appreciate that. You all know I can be long winded but as I’m putting my thoughts to the post I’m trying to be specific and cover any questions that I think I would have.

This! It's why most of mine are long-winded.

As much as I would like to be upgrading and modifying my stuff daily, there’s always a lot of stuff that has to get done as well. I probably share too much stuff on here being a Tahoe/Yukon forum but I enjoy seeing other projects or jobs and how people work thru them. The interactions I have with you guys are uplifting and supportive. When I’m absent from the site for awhile, it’s only because I don’t have 20 minutes to post. But I do check in and read up on you guys.

Nah, you don't over-share. Your posts are never boring and often inspiring.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score

Agreed, 1,000%!! I really like what you share with us, and how you explain things that are being done, or that needs to be done to complete the job correctly. That goes for you too @iamdub. Keep posting!

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
Damnit... I woulda come and got that Windstar this weekend! (assuming it was relatively rust free)

It was rust free. At least what I looked at. I didn’t crawl underneath it. Ran good but was dirty inside and I couldn’t open the sliding doors on either side. Most likely because they haven’t been opened in over 3 years. It had the rear entertainment and rear heat and ac. It was a limited so it was fully loaded but I wasn’t gonna get into it. I know someone would have given them $1500-2000 for it the way it sat with the way the used car market is. Few dings and scraps but there wasn’t anything creased or major. The last picture is deceiving because it looks like it’s dented up and I thought maybe it was but in person, it wasn’t all. It’s the reflection of the car next to it.
59201380-0231-4CC1-8EEA-AE66B94C1CF6.jpeg
E60242CF-1AF3-4705-A918-AC0F4C55C481.jpeg
B50873A0-F9FC-4470-8E63-7D8D93CEA3E7.jpeg
9519F935-54E2-4F37-B5E7-5DCCDEA46B18.jpeg

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score

Agreed, 1,000%!! I really like what you share with us, and how you explain things that are being done, or that needs to be done to complete the job correctly. That goes for you too @iamdub. Keep posting!

I appreciate you guys. Good dudes up in this place and I’m honored to be a part of it.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate you guys. Good dudes up in this place and I’m honored to be a part of it.
All the above as noted and wrapped into part of the old guard still hanging around this joint sharing their life experiences, kids, Vets (thanks your service), knowledge, experience, quips, and not just related to the ethos of this forum. So much more and enjoyable. Spinning a yarn to break up the day or share with other like or not-like minded individuals is cathartic and we can all learn something new or confirm what we already knew. Thx man.

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
I ran a tap in all the threaded holes and used a 9/16” drill to ream out the hole for the long bolt to pass thru. The bolt is a 14mm which measures out to 35/64” and a 9/16” is 36/64” so that’s what I used. Mounted the spindle and bolted the brake caliper on each side but parts haven’t shown up yet. Figured out what wires need to be moved where on the radio harness and then came inside to shower eat and now going to sleep.

Edited: 14mm mic’d to 35/64 not 36/64.
015FB61B-3CD1-4B6D-8356-D466A3B8DBCE.jpeg
0A74E7BA-0F0C-4FAA-9F57-B739DDB31666.jpeg

That’s all the pics I took for now.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65