02 Base for my son

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
Been a little while since I did any kind of update. Haven’t gotten too much done lately trying to keep up with getting my yard work done cutting down trees and tearing out a little pond my parents had in the back yard. They stopped keeping up with it and it got over grown and completely out of control so I pumped it out and pulled all the weeds and overgrowth and removed all the rocks.
2B33D828-53A0-4532-880F-EB0CE6C306D6.jpeg

You’d never think this thing was 5’ deep. It steps down so they could put plants in it. I would come home in the morning and dig out as much as I could before the heat set in and then go to bed. I’ve been still working 12hr days 6-7 days/wk so this summer is flying by.
324792DD-F3CD-4251-9C29-CCABAA8C5D24.jpeg

My parents collected rocks from wherever they could or went for a few years. This is only one pile that I made. I dropped off a lot over at their house because my mom said she wanted some for her landscape.
C57DEC28-3070-47B8-AF79-0277D78A9B8D.jpeg

I’m pulling the liner and filling in the hole and then pouring a concrete pad so I can put up a gazebo with a hot tub and then I’ll redo the deck with composite boards. There’s already power to that area for the pump and lights so I’ll just pull some new wire for 240V for the hot tub. I told my boys to get out there and move some rock for me and Jess send me this at 1am because they said they didn’t want to do it in the morning or the heat. Lol.
11875DEA-7955-428F-9174-777B8D08F1AB.jpeg

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
As far as my garage addition goes, I pulled everything out of the attached shed, piled everything from shed and along that outside wall that’s getting taken down onto one side of the garage. Called my concrete guy to come by and give me an idea when he can get the pad poured and to go over a few things but he blew me off. 2 calls and a few texts and he wouldn’t get back to me. Find out he’s on vacation for a few weeks and I thought that was strange because this is his busy season. Talk to my wife’s brother in law and he tells me he hasn’t been working because they went on strike over contract negotiations. Then the light bulb goes off in my head. Carl is local 150 and works at a rock quarry. No rock, no concrete. My buddy Nick told me he’s weeks behind on construction work because they aren’t getting concrete. So when the concrete starts rolling again, the big commercial jobs and road work is gonna be top priority. I was told good luck getting 12 yards for a residential pour this year! So last year was the high lumber costs that kept me from getting my garage, this year it’s gonna be concrete. This is really setting me behind the 8 ball, I have my projects that need to get done and I need my lift and the garage space. I can’t go another winter without heat in garage or the space to get stuff done. Do I run the gas line and throw a heater in then have to remove some of the gas pipe when slab is finally poured? Do I throw all my stuff back into shed this year just to get that half of garage space free or do I still tear down the shed and board up the hole in side of garage? This really is a kick to the balls.

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
I’ve done a few things to the bike. Just added some storage pouches, put on a DynoJet tuner and fluid changes to engine, trans and primary. All Amsoil as always. I actually snuck in my fluid and filter change at work where I have my bike lift.
E0BE68F9-C6A1-4363-9F57-0F551A0EAC63.jpeg

We did our usual Freedom Ride again this year. That was good to get at least one day where I could relax and enjoy myself.
ED451643-8A8A-46C4-9D39-95673762A4C8.jpeg

0CD47318-2579-4F09-80E0-7FBC4CCEBE14.jpeg

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
Jack has been complaining non stop about the gas prices and wanting to put regular in the Esky. I told him he better not and it would only be worse on mileage and down on power. He’s been working a lot of hours this summer because he likes to buy things and take his girlfriend out. I also got the lady that he rear ended paid. Ended up being $1248 so I sent her $1300. Jack is paying me back in 4 payments of $325. That was his idea, I told him $100 a paycheck would be ok but he wanted to get it paid off asap.
72AD7221-0DF9-4C1C-966D-AB4145A41D56.jpeg
F032881A-F432-46F5-9568-414679FEB8C7.jpeg

I put my ear to the pavement and sent out some feelers that I was looking for another vehicle to help ease the “build back better” fiasco on Jack at the gas pump.
Wasn’t long after I got a text from an old friend who knows someone that does caretaking and had a hook up on a vehicle. But, there was 3 vehicles and it had to be a package deal. The old timer that had them was getting harassed by the city because a neighbor kept calling on these vehicles that haven’t been plated since 2016.
There was a 2002 Daewoo but had some front end damage. Had 91k miles on it and ran like a top. Don’t know much about a Daewoo, I can’t remember the model.
9C221E7F-226B-4B02-8DCA-105C7ADB91A6.jpeg

The next was a 2004 Ford Windstar Limited. 124k miles on it. New engine was put in at 85k. Also air conditioning and battery was replaced in 2019 and had receipts for all.
8028F346-4378-4390-910F-A7F4B1F4CBB4.jpeg

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
The last and only one I was really interested in was a 2000 Dodge Intrepid ES with 84k miles.
B1548178-44E6-4059-9D1B-40D75FC14A42.jpeg

The deal was, the guy was in the hospital and the family wanted to get the cars out of there while he wasn’t home. He would pitch a fit and not let them go if he was home. I had 5 days before he got home too. So I said I’d take them all in one day if the price was right. He talked to the daughter who was the power or attorney and she said if I came that weekend I could have them all for $200/each. Sold!
So the weekend came and I drove an hour to where they were pulling a trailer with Jess and another buddy.
We get to the house and all 3 daughters are there and the one daughter I talked to, Megan, who was the POA tells me the other 2 sisters said there’s no way they can let them go for $200 each. I told them that’s what I was told and that’s why I was there. They huddled and talked and finally came back with $500 each but they all had to go. I didn’t want the Daewoo or the Windstar but it’s still worth it just to get the Intrepid for Jack. So I told Jess I’m gonna do it, I had brought like $3000 with me because I heard this guys garage was full of tools and I might be able to load my truck up for cheap. So I said ok. Started writing up the bill of sales and when we got to the titles Megan said she has to sign her name and write POA after it. I told her I can’t go to the DMV with that without her being there with proof of power of attorney paperwork and her photo ID. She said that’s what the currency exchange told her she had to do. So she wanted to go to Currency exchange with me and I could do the transfers right there. Well, I didn’t want to pay for plates and title transfers on the 2 vehicles that I was gonna sell. So I said hold on a minute.
First off, the van had an electrical issue so the door locks didn’t work. The side door panel was off because I guess they had someone tracking down the shirt at some time. It needed rear shocks really bad because it bounced when I was checking it out. All the vehicles were dirty inside and out and I really didn’t want to pay for titles and plates, keep the vehicles at my house until titles showed up or have to put money into that van so I could resell. The Daewoo I already knew I was gonna take to the junk yard.
So I made a phone call to a local junk yard and asked them what they would give me for the Daewoo and Windstar. They wanted to know if they ran and I said yes but needed to be jumped. They asked if they still had the catalytic converters and I said yes. They said they would give me $500 a piece but only $200 if they only took the Daewoo. I asked if they could come get them that day and gave them the address and they said they could. I handed Megan the phone and she filled them in on the details and the whole power of attorney thing and they were good with it. Soon as she hung up I asked if that was good and she said yep. So we went to currency and I titled and plated the Intrepid and dragged that home.
Took way longer than expected for that ordeal but I got what I wanted and didn’t have to deal with the other stuff.
9BBACAC7-6EF9-4844-8097-118A4B195B05.jpeg
6811F9DB-0C4E-4903-B01E-665992AFB036.jpeg
3D700014-134C-4FAE-BCEB-79270FBFA6E5.jpeg

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
I drove the car to work and changed the oil and checked the ac. Needed about half a can of Freon but ac works great.
F3085C36-C5D6-4A41-BB8C-8D51D55DB27F.jpeg

I ordered all new brakes front and rear and also ordered some rear struts because they were going bad. Not horrible but it needed it.
After charging the battery for a day, it starts fine and holds a charge so that’s good. I had to remove the air box to get to the battery to load test it and it has a “19” sticker on it. Looks like a new Interstate so I’ll let it ride for now. I drove it to work a couple days and when the brakes showed up I pulled the rear tire off and these brakes are brand new. The calipers barely pushed in because these pads are so thick. Just as think as the new pads. So I greased the slides on both sides and put the wheels back on. Pulled the front and same thing. Brand new. I couldn’t justify changing them. So I returned the brakes. Saved me $278!
The Goodyear tires are like new also.
AB9D28EA-B3B8-4136-8B7B-1FE52104BAC0.jpeg

This was starting to turn out to be a win for once. I did notice the right front speaker was blown and crackling. So I disconnected it and figured with the money I saved on the brakes I’ll get a new pair of front speakers. This thing has a 9 speaker Infinity system in it. The door speakers are just subs and there are tweeters in the top of door near the a-pillar. Problem is these speakers are 2ohm and run off a factory amp. To replace the door speakers would cost $175. So I went on Crutchfield and ordered 4 new speakers for front and rear, pair of tweeters and a new JVC head unit all for $225. I’m gonna bypass the amp so it’s all gonna be 4ohm stuff. Still cheaper than the brakes that I saved.
The rear struts showed up and I got started on that. Pulled the carpet from the sides of the trunk and can’t feel the top of strut. Holy cow, I had to remove rear seat, side trim panels, rear deck and rear speakers to get to the top of struts. But I had to do that to replace rear speakers anyway so at least it’s all getting done at once.
88E170B0-F6A1-43F0-AEC2-33ECBC68E096.jpeg
52E033D2-DDC8-465E-95FF-10C116AA3C8F.jpeg

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
In order to remove the strut from the spindle, there’s a pinch bolt that has to come out. That thing would not budge. I heated it, beat it with hammer, tried jarring it with air hammer while attempting to turn bolt with double wrench and I even tried talking nice to it but it wasn’t coming out without a fight. Everything I read online said it’s gonna break and you’ll have to drill and tap it so it was best to cut it thru the slot flush with the threaded side so the other part comes out which allows the strut to come off.
There’s no way I’m gonna lay on the ground to drill and tap these things so I decided to pull the entire spindle off. There are 2 lateral link bars on either side of the spindle that go towards the center of the car and they have one bolt that goes thru one link thru the spindle and then the other link followed by a nut. The nut came off and the outside link came off after I took the inside link bolt out but that long bolt was seized in the spindle too. Then there’s a lower trailing arm that keeps the spindle from moving front to back and I took that off. Had to remove parking brake assembly and cable but the backing plate was in the way so I had to take off the hub first. Only way to take the strut off was to remove the front side lateral link with it. Pics will make more sense.
153E0555-A86C-4915-9BA3-BE482DF78C8D.jpeg

651221B7-8BCC-4A82-9159-F27E2890BB90.jpeg
8B600E4A-9394-4C3E-97D1-29C03CD48FBE.jpeg
EF59D37E-4512-467F-A773-BAAE10B7B601.jpeg

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
These bolts can’t be seized if they’re liquid! So I got out the torch and I got these spindles glowing on the threaded side of the pinch bolt. It was seized on the bolt shoulder side too. So both sides were cherry red and I worked that pinch bolt out.
0C06A7DE-F140-4655-A3D5-A1D7D052DDA5.jpeg
You can see that long bolt for the links and how it goes thru the spindle in above pic. I couldn’t find that bolt listed anywhere but I did find one I could order from Fastenal. But here’s the spindles free from the struts.
6CBBBB6F-1FBB-4DDC-9F41-001B930C0B51.jpeg

So I did the same thing, got them things glowing red and was able to get the bolt spinning and worked it out.
These links look like you know what, the bushings weren’t horrible but I can’t put stuff together like that. My buddy tells me all the time he doesn’t want me to work on his stuff because I can’t just fix something, I have to restore it. I guess he’s right. I threw the spindles, brake caliper brackets, all the hardware and anything I might reuse in the blast cabinet and cleaned it all up.
D6BE1D70-F493-43D0-9AD7-A25ACBBE5579.jpeg
0996CEAE-4D16-4185-B1AB-E4D9EEEACBF9.jpeg

Ordered all brand new links and sway bar end links which should be here today. Have most of everything painted and ready to go.
I started on the stereo stuff too but I’ll come back and get into that. I have some stuff to get done here at work before the night is over for me. I’ll be back.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love your stories and tenacious determination for absolute completion of a task. And mad skills across many projects.

I second all of Tony’s comments above.

So much good work and concern for many others.

Inspiring and complimentary. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trickystick19