01 Tahoe 5.3 tick then goes away

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DadsToy

DadsToy

Reaction score
Agreed with above. If it sits for long periods, that could explain a lifter tick until oil pressure gets up to *****. I'd maybe try a good OEM filter and oil change as well. How often do you change oil?

I just got a 2008 lucerne from my in-laws with the 3.8L. They were crappy at best on maintenance, but it's free for the daughter. Has a lifter tick and they were going to junk it. I poured in 1/2 quart of ATF and let it idle for 20 min - quiet as a mouse. Had a little noise the next day - added another 1/2 quart and let the daughter drive it around the yard (yes we look like rednecks occasionally ). The car is now quiet on each startup and is due for an oil change. Just some pointers of what worked for me.
Yep done that too. One oil change I put Marvel Mystery oil in with the oil. That work for awhile. Then the second oil change (3000 miles) put ATF in. Work the first 3 times of start up. I wonder if regular thicker oil would help. Like 10w30 instead of the 5w30.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Was the noise from the exhaust? If it was, you pull the heads for a fix and do the lifters. Or you do as you say and install those clamps.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A thing about lifter ticking......I had that happen in the past on my 2007 Denali and it was related to the oil pump o-ring and the valley plate o-rings. Not sure what year yours is.

Also, my 2019 F250 work truck with the 6.2L also has a lifter tick occasionally after a start up. Goes away in a second or two. Probably won't hurt a thing is my guess.

OP
OP
DadsToy

DadsToy

Reaction score
A thing about lifter ticking......I had that happen in the past on my 2007 Denali and it was related to the oil pump o-ring and the valley plate o-rings. Not sure what year yours is.

Also, my 2019 F250 work truck with the 6.2L also has a lifter tick occasionally after a start up. Goes away in a second or two. Probably won't hurt a thing is my guess.
My Tahoe is a 2001 with a lot of miles. But the trans was rebuilt about 3yrs ago. So at least that part is good to go. I'll try and get a video of the issue tomorrow. If I do the cam I should replace the oil pump. But that involves dropping the oil pan in order to get to the oil pickup tube. Can't win...lol

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure on that one. If it has good oil pressure, then maybe not needed. There are tons of those motors of that age with 400k on them. I'm pretty sure most don't have new oil pumps. I've never replaced and oil pump on any vehicle......ever. Lots of them well into the several hundred K mark.

Good oil change intervals pays off and keeps wear off parts.
My Tahoe is a 2001 with a lot of miles. But the trans was rebuilt about 3yrs ago. So at least that part is good to go. I'll try and get a video of the issue tomorrow. If I do the cam I should replace the oil pump. But that involves dropping the oil pan in order to get to the oil pickup tube. Can't win...lol

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good oil change intervals pays off and keeps wear off parts.
Changing schidty motor oils & crappy filters more than often enough, is so much more important than changing the best synthetic motor oils & filters half as often - especially since the vast majority of synthetic motor oil manufacturers go out of their way to obscure meaningful performance statistics that could be used by customers for comparison.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to come at this from a slightly different angle.
Could you verify that the sound isn't the evap purge solenoid?
Unplug the electrical connector from this thing. It's normal for it to sound like a ticking lifter.
When you say,
"It's normal for it to sound like a ticking lifter."
Is the evap purge solenoid capable of ticking at the same pace as a ticking lifter?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep