Autoride suspension help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BH1989

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2009 Yukon Denali Xl. For the past few months the Autoride compressor has been super noisy and running constantly. 2 weeks ago, I decided to replace the rear shocks with Arnott rebuilt units. After replacing the compressor was still noisy which is knew it would be, but it would run as normal and shut off quickly. Speed up to this week, old compressor stopped working. replaced with a new Dorman unit yesterday. Started the truck up, compressor kicked on as normal for 5 seconds then shut off. Drove around a bit, came home then one more time turned truck off, then back on to test and compressor kicks on for 5 seconds and turns off as normal. Later that night and today, compressor does not run at all. I have checked all fuses and continuity is good.

Here is my testing so far:
Fuses: 58, 2, and 54 are good and continuity is good.
I can power the relay from pins 86 and 85 and the relay clicks.
I have constant power on pin 30 on the relay connector
If I jump connector spots 30 and 87 the compressor runs.

Please help with any ideas I might be missing, from my testing all checks out but for some reason the compressor wont kick on at start up anymore. I also put a full load of groceries in and filled with gas last night and it does not kick on either.

Thanks for your time

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably a junk compressor. I recommend OEM parts only or delete the system and use quality Bilstein shocks. Suspension is never a place to go cheap, it’ll ruin the entire driving experience of a vehicle.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven’t heard anything but good reviews on the Dorman compressors, plenty of members here running them. I’ve been running Arnotts compressor for many years with zero issues. If you have access to a Tech2 you can run the tests otherwise I suggest taking it to a shop with a scanner like a Snap On Solus or Tech2 that can read suspension DTC’s. You can also pull one of the air lines off a shock, let all the air out, plug it back in and see if you just have it aired up too much and it the exhaust solenoid isn’t working. Did you rebuild the dryer?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You probably have a shelled out compressor which is likely due to blown air bladders on your shocks which caused the compressor to tear itself up trying to inflate them.

As @Rocket Man said, Arnott makes good stuff. I would go with their AS-2708 (OEM Rebuild that maintains Auto Ride and Auto Level) or AS-2700's (Maintains Auto Level and spoofs the Auto Ride) I have used these with absolutely no issues.

As for the compressor, I don't think you would go wrong with either the Dorman or the Arnott options. Again, I have put both on the various vehicles I have had and have been happy.

Swapping these components out is about a 1hr job, if you take your time. Just remember when you are done, double check the ABS speed sensor connections that are on top of the frame rail as they like to come loose just because you were near them and will give you Service Suspension error on the dash. Arnott even puts a reminder in with their shocks telling you this.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it on the pump or part of the pump housing, or on the vehicle somewhere?
Mines an 02, might be different but it’s next to the compressor, mounted to the same housing the compressor is mounted to. I should add iirc, it’s been a few years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71

Latest posts