Z55 Air shock replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trailblazzin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered a set of replacement shocks for my 07 LTZ. Went with ACDelco's. I noticed both bladders on the outside of the shocks were frayed and appears to have holes in them. My compressor would always kick on after the ignition was turned on. The pump would run for a few seconds and shut off. Also, while trailering with a couple hundred pounds of tongue weight the pump would pump for 45-60 seconds and appeared to raising the squatted rear end.

I have removed the fuse to prevent the pump from running and burning up.

Never had a code or service suspension light on the dash either.

Is the outer bag on the shock I see the actual "air bladder" or is there something else inside of that "cover". I don't understand if they air leaking why the pump wouldn't run longer.

I'm leaving for an 8 hour drive trip and will be loaded. The replacement won't be here in time, and I wanted an opinion on putting the fuse back in.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I ordered a set of replacement shocks for my 07 LTZ. Went with ACDelco's. I noticed both bladders on the outside of the shocks were frayed and appears to have holes in them. My compressor would always kick on after the ignition was turned on. The pump would run for a few seconds and shut off. Also, while trailering with a couple hundred pounds of tongue weight the pump would pump for 45-60 seconds and appeared to raising the squatted rear end.

I have removed the fuse to prevent the pump from running and burning up.

Never had a code or service suspension light on the dash either.

Is the outer bag on the shock I see the actual "air bladder" or is there something else inside of that "cover". I don't understand if they air leaking why the pump wouldn't run longer.

I'm leaving for an 8 hour drive trip and will be loaded. The replacement won't be here in time, and I wanted an opinion on putting the fuse back in.

The frayed bladder you see is the actual air bag bladder. Leave the fuse out until you get your new shocks installed unless you want to have a new pump to go with your new shocks.

The ESCM will turn the pump off after 255 secs to keep from burning it up. Depending on how big the holes in the bladders are it may be a slow leak.

OP
OP
Trailblazzin

Trailblazzin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The frayed bladder you see is the actual air bag bladder. Leave the fuse out until you get your new shocks installed unless you want to have a new pump to go with your new shocks.

The ESCM will turn the pump off after 255 secs to keep from burning it up. Depending on how big the holes in the bladders are it may be a slow leak.

Thanks, I’ll leave it out until i get the new shocks in. Does it sound like my pump is shot too? Do they still sound like they are pumping when they burn up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kbuskill

Reaction score
If you still hear it running then it is likely not burnt up BUT the longer you allow it to run with bad shocks the more moisture it will collect in the air dryer which will reduce its life expectancy.

They usually get really noisy before they crap out in my experience.

I replaced mine with the Dorman replacement compressor.

OP
OP
Trailblazzin

Trailblazzin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New shocks installed. They are slightly different from original in that the body seems shorter, but are the same overall length.

0ebb35f7a2b438f5a281d7dfccf1d5bf.jpg
6c210ebc14ec8b743bd4a499ed6384c0.jpg

OP
OP
Trailblazzin

Trailblazzin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel like my suspension is harsher, not as smooth as when I first got my Tahoe.

Is it possible that the electronic shocks/struts are stuck in that setting? Anyway for me to tell?

Both rears replaced recently and last year I replaced the drivers side strut, haven’t gotten around to the passenger side yet.

kbuskill

Reaction score
I feel like my suspension is harsher, not as smooth as when I first got my Tahoe.

Is it possible that the electronic shocks/struts are stuck in that setting? Anyway for me to tell?

Both rears replaced recently and last year I replaced the drivers side strut, haven’t gotten around to the passenger side yet.

You can unplug them and see if you notice a difference in the ride. You will definitely get a light on the dash but you should notice a softer ride.

OP
OP
Trailblazzin

Trailblazzin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can unplug them and see if you notice a difference in the ride. You will definitely get a light on the dash but you should notice a softer ride.

Good idea, so when they are disconnected, the revert to the softest ride?

There isn’t a calibration that needs completed after replacement though, correct?

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is a calibration that can be ran with the tech2 I did it on mine but it made no noticeable difference, also your pump is supposed to run each time you turn the key on, it is a self check and runs each time for approx. 4 seconds, also the pump will come on and inflate the shock if weight is added that's the whole purpose of the system.