z120bt in 09 Tahoe LTZ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brose

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I got a question I read on the sonic electronix site that the PAC OS4 retains the factory bluetooth? I really was wondering if I could retain my factory bluetooth because this would be great! I got the avh- P4200dvd unit

ugadawgs311

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the Bluetooth retention as I don't have factory Bluetooth in my Tahoe (mine is a 2007). The HU I bought has Bluetooth in it though, so if your HU has Bluetooth in it, then maybe you won't really need to retain the factory Bluetooth.

I also want to post some information about the products that I used in the install just so that other people would have a chance to if they work or not.

PAC OS-4: This little guy is great. It allowed retention of my factory Bose system (with factory amp), factory XM radio, factory OnStar, and my factory back up camera. The directions came with it were very helpful and it really wasn't too hard to set up. Now, having said that, I did screw my install up and my OS-4 smoked up. I have no idea how I caused this, but I got a new one and now everything works great. I was also able to retain the RAP setting (where the radio stays after you turn the vehicle off, but before you open the drivers side door). I also retained parking sensors and security chimes. My only complaint with this product is that the chime module that comes with it (which controls all security chimes, parking sensors, and the blinker sound) is really annoying. It's just a really loud, obnoxious beep. I definitely prefer the factory chimes, but you lose those when you take out the factory radio. Hopefully, someone will create a different chime module. All in all though, I definitely recommend this product if you have a GM vehicle and plan on retaining a lot of the factory settings.

PAC GMRVD: This allowed retention of my factory LCD screen in the back seats. The wireless head phones still work, and I can play any video (from iPod, microdisk, or DVD) on the front HU screen and the rear LCD screen. This was big for me because I did not want to lose the rear LCD screen and this product worked great.

PAC SWI-PS: This is the steering wheel control adapter that I used. It allowed me to retain all of my factory steering wheel controls. Installation is super easy with the OS-4; everything is pre-wired, so you just connect two ends and that's it. You do have to program the buttons though.

And I think that's all of it. The Pioneer X920BT is a really awesome unit. Tons of features and the iPod/iPhone integration is the best Pioneer has made yet. Thanks for all the help from everyone.

OP
OP
P

ptwat

Reaction score
Brose,
There are a lot features on the 120bt that use bluetooth (including bt audio) and I don't know how you would use the HU bt and the factory bt so I never tried using factory bt after installing the new HU. Supposedly you can use either but not both bt with the OS4.

ugadawgs311,
Glad things worked out for you. You can go to avic411.com to see the new features on the x930bt announced at CES if you are curious. Some of them will be available to the 920bt (and the 120bt) as an update later this year. The integration of "aha" radio is the one Pioneer seems to be proudest about.

If anyone is interested in an OEM '09 Navi unit, pm me.

OMG its Jason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brose,
There are a lot features on the 120bt that use bluetooth (including bt audio) and I don't know how you would use the HU bt and the factory bt so I never tried using factory bt after installing the new HU. Supposedly you can use either but not both bt with the OS4.

ugadawgs311,
Glad things worked out for you. You can go to avic411.com to see the new features on the x930bt announced at CES if you are curious. Some of them will be available to the 920bt (and the 120bt) as an update later this year. The integration of "aha" radio is the one Pioneer seems to be proudest about.

If anyone is interested in an OEM '09 Navi unit, pm me.

PM Sent

Brose

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I got everything hooked up still waiting on my steering wheel interface to come in but besides the avh p4200 sounds great and looks great. Ptwat the factory bluetooth worked but sounds kinda sketchy but contacted pac and waiting on a response.

OP
OP
P

ptwat

Reaction score
I have called PAC several times and their support has generally been great. If you don't get a response soon try giving them a call.
What do you mean by "sketchy"- noisy?

Brose

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well sounds like the sound is distorted not crystal clear. Im also trying to figure out how to get my xm radio not to play through the speakers in the rear while im listening to a different source. I left the rca xm audio jacks unplugged until I can speak with PAC.

OP
OP
P

ptwat

Reaction score
Well sounds like the sound is distorted not crystal clear. Im also trying to figure out how to get my xm radio not to play through the speakers in the rear while im listening to a different source. I left the rca xm audio jacks unplugged until I can speak with PAC.

I never heard of that one before- it may be a defective unit. So PAC has not replied yet?

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

Sounds like alot of you guys are going with this unit. Must be a good one.

There was a newer version z130bt announced at CES last week. It has some new features that will be offered as a paid for software update to the z120bt and the z110bt except it will have HD radio built in.
As far as being good or not, I like the features except the navi is not what I would call state of the art. Kenwood has Garmin and Sony has Tom Tom as their integrated navi. But if the navi is not that important, it is a pretty good unit. It should be for the price, but deals can be found. Alpine announced a new unit at CES also and may worth a look (ina9001 if I remember correctly).
It really comes down to what features are most important to you and for me this was the most optimal solution at this time especially since it integrates well with the iphone.
Having said all that, I think there will be much better solutions in the near future (year or two) that have better internet interfaces allowing more realtime features.

Last edited:

Brose

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ptwat I checked and made sure all the connections were plugged all the way into the os4. Once I did the sound is much better must of been a loose connection. Question How did you resolve the issue concerning the factory xm hookup with RCA cables from the os4?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Speardog