2014 LTZ easiest aftermarket head unit upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdr0909

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello - new member here.

I am considering buying a 2014 LTZ - it has the factory head into with a DVD player and a LCD screen for navigation and backup camera. It has the Bose system with speakers in the doors and also in the columns in front.

I have read a ton of threads here including that 12 page sticky thread trying to educate myself and looked at units and instructions at Crutchfield.

Anyway I’m still sort of confused with all of the options and harnesses etc out there.

Basically, I’d like to replace the factory head unit with an aftermarket unit that fits in the same space so it looks factory. I would want to keep everything - steering wheel controls, chimes. rear entertainment system, backup camera, XM radio, etc and then also add CarPlay.

I have replaced head units in my old 4Runner so I some basic understanding of removing trim, dash, using harnessses but I’m just not sure where to start. I’d like something easy to install basically plug and play is possible.

And I see some info about an issue with the amp and having to replace the speakers too? Is that necessary?

Any suggestions or guidance would be most appreciated.

TIA!

me88

Reaction score
Get an iDatalink Maestro adapter, then you have no issue no matter what BOSE amplifier you have. There are three different ones, but the Maestro adapter works with all of them.

ccole

Reaction score
What’s your motivation to replace? I’m running to factory unit in my 07 with a rather highend sound quality system behind it. Active Hybrid Audio Technology 3-way(8”,3”,tweet) up front, coax in rear doors, with 4K watts going to dual 15’s. Running Mosconi DSP and amplification. Adding the DSP gave me the option for AptX Bluetooth and I added a Sonos Port that give me direct access to streaming services and my personal digital collection connects USB to my WiFi router.
I’m a bit nutty when it comes to music but my rant was to show you some of what’s available leaving the factory head unit.