z120bt in 09 Tahoe LTZ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ugadawgs311

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The mute wire is not yellow. Constant power is yellow.

I grounded the yellow/black mute wire off the A/V harness from the HU. I connected yellow to yellow, red to red, black to black from the RAP accessory. Is that correct?

I grounded all these wires together:

• Black wire from black harness from HU
  • Black wire from RAP accessory
  • Green parking brake wire from black harness from HU
  • Yellow/Black mute wire from A/V harness from HU (this wire was also moved one slot to the left for the bypass)
  • Black wire from GMRVD

If any of that looks incorrect, please let me know.

OP
OP
P

ptwat

Reaction score
That sounds right. Make sure the screw that you chose is indeed a ground. The green wire you grounded was the light green wire from the HU?
One way to troubleshoot this is to disconnect the SWIPS and the HU and reconnect the battery. I would leave the GMRVD disconnected while doing this because you don't have to have it. Turn on acc power with your key and see if any thing gets hot. If it does, recheck all your OS4 wiring. Call PAC if you can't figure it out, they seem to be pretty good about helping. You might want to call them anyway to see they think the OS4 is damaged.

Disconnect the battery connect the HU cables, reconnect the battery turn it on a see if anything gets hot. If it does there is something wrong in that part of the wiring.

Then, reconnect the SWIPS (after taking the battery loose) and try again.

If that all works, reconnect the GMRVD and check again.

You don't have to reconnect the battery each time and some people don't, but why risk it at this point. I know you are probably very frustrated right now but it is not the time to push your luck. Be methodical in troubleshooting and recheck all your wiring connections. Make sure everything is well insulated when you made up your harnesses.

Make sure any wires you did not use are taped up so that they do not short anywhere.

Let us know as you progress. What part of GA are you in?

Last edited:

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Heu Ptwtat where did you ground your equipment behind the dash?

ugadawgs311

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds right. Make sure the screw that you chose is indeed a ground. The green wire you grounded was the light green wire from the HU?
One way to troubleshoot this is to disconnect the SWIPS and the HU and reconnect the battery. I would leave the GMRVD disconnected while doing this because you don't have to have it. Turn on acc power with your key and see if any thing gets hot. If it does, recheck all your OS4 wiring. Call PAC if you can't figure it out, they seem to be pretty good about helping. You might want to call them anyway to see they think the OS4 is damaged.

Disconnect the battery connect the HU cables, reconnect the battery turn it on a see if anything gets hot. If it does there is something wrong in that part of the wiring.

Then, reconnect the SWIPS (after taking the battery loose) and try again.

If that all works, reconnect the GMRVD and check again.

You don't have to reconnect the battery each time and some people don't, but why risk it at this point. I know you are probably very frustrated right now but it is not the time to push your luck. Be methodical in troubleshooting and recheck all your wiring connections. Make sure everything is well insulated when you made up your harnesses.

Make sure any wires you did not use are taped up so that they do not short anywhere.

Let us know as you progress. What part of GA are you in?

I'm in the Roswell/Marietta area. How about yourself?

Before I gave up yesterday, I reconnected the OS-4 and all other harness to the factory harnesses and to the HU. I turned on ACC power and nothing happened. The good news: no smoke, nothing got hot. The bad news: the HU never turned on. My guess is that the OS-4 is completely fried now. I took the OS-4 apart and looked at the circuit board, and everything, surprisingly, looks fine. I really can't even see any burn marks.

I'll probably just have to see if I can return the OS-4, maybe it was faulty. I just don't know of any way to test if it is still usable.

OP
OP
P

ptwat

Reaction score
Heu Ptwtat where did you ground your equipment behind the dash?

I grounded it on one of the silver sheet metal screws behind the black plastic at the back of the HU well against the bare metal support.

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

I'm in the Roswell/Marietta area. How about yourself?

I'll probably just have to see if I can return the OS-4, maybe it was faulty. I just don't know of any way to test if it is still usable.

I live in the Johns Creek area. You could take a volt meter and and see if there is any power on the OS4 yellow wire (battery) and the red wire (RAP). If they don't have power, it is probably dead. I would also check the fuses now and see if any blew (including the x920bt fuse). You could also put your OEM back in after removing the new stuff just to make sure nothing bad happened to your truck harnesses.

ugadawgs311

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked fuses for my car and the X920BT, everything seems to be ok. I also plugged the factory unit back in and it still works, so thankfully, nothing happened to my vehicle or the stock nav unit.

The volt meter is a good idea. I'll try to get my hands on one tomorrow and hook it up and see if I can get any power coming out of the OS-4.

I guess I'll need to hook up the OS-4 to my factory harnesses to test the power won't I?

Last edited:

ugadawgs311

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I took the OS-4 apart again to take a look at the circuit board. The top of it is fine, but underneath is another story. One side of it is completely black. I'm sure the whole thing is shot now. I'll have to see if I can return it.

I checked, re-checked, double-checked, and triple-re-checked all my connections and I don't see one wire that was incorrectly connected. Obviously something went wrong though. I think I'm just going to take this to a professional installer and have them do it. I hate paying so much for the install, but I don't want to take the risk of ruining another $100 harness.

Also: the burn happened on the side of the OS-4 where the XM connection is made. Not sure if was this particular connection that made the whole thing fry up, but the burn is definitely near that connection. I have no idea how the XM connector could have caused this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

ptwat

Reaction score
ugadawgs,
I have been away for a while. Just checking with you. The only thing I can think if you have not taken it to a professional is that we can compare wiring. I can post a picture of the connections I have if you know which one you want to see or meet somewhere to compare.

ugadawgs311

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot ptwat. I did end up taking everything to a professional. Got it all installed and everything is working well so far except for the auto night-dimming. My navigation map still stays white when the headlights are on. I'm taking it back to the installer tomorrow to see if they can fix it.

Also, the chime/blinker module from the PAC OS-4 is so annoying! Have you found any way to lower the volume or change the blinker noise? I really hope there is some other module out there that you could buy and plug in, because this thing is annoying.

OP
OP
P

ptwat

Reaction score
I have not found an alternative to the chime module. I have adjusted somewhat though. Mine sounds like I am getting sound from the HU plus the chime module. It does not bother me enough to try change anything at this point.
Glad to hear you got things ironed out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia