WTF is going on with my rig?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WTF is going on with my rig? *Update - Fuel Pump*

So we just drove out to Cali from Denver - left Friday night, stayed in Henderson (SE Vegas) for a night, then drove the rest of the way to Oceanside on Saturday. On saturday afternoon, I'm on the 215 heading South, and all of a sudden my truck loses a shitload of power, like the engine is pulling a TON of timing or something. It downshifts into 3rd on the highway and stays there, and kicks the SES light on. I pull off on the next exit and into the gas station, and it's running super rough - worse than I've ever heard it. I'm down to about 1/4 tank so I gas up and let it cool down for about 15 minutes. Start it back up, starts a little rough but runs fine the rest of the way down to OS.

The SES light is still on, and it starts a little rough each time but runs fine overall. What gives?

Come to find out that my father in law's 02 suburban with 195K on it was doing the same thing, but to the point that it downshifted into 1st, then completely died on the side of the highway. They let it cool down for about 10 minutes then it was ok. My FIL said that it was vapor lock...but that doesn't make any sense to me. I thought that vapor lock was damn near impossible to get with fuel injected vehicles? I'm at a loss. Next step is to run it to the local dealership and find out what the hell the code is, and what I need to do to get it back up to par. This is pissing me off, I've taken awesome care of this truck and it's always run like a top...now this random crap. I guess at 109K, something's gotta give, eh?

Last edited:

Rollin Thunder

Banned for Repeatedly Insulting Members
Reaction score
Cash for clunkers time... lol

honestlyl dude I have no idea. I have a hard time with the vapor lock because that wouldnt do anything to the tranny? would it?

OKLAGMCRUISER

Need drop...send $
Reaction score
you can get the ses scanned at a local parts shop. they can likely recommend a repair and it not cost you an arm and a leg.

Rollin Thunder

Banned for Repeatedly Insulting Members
Reaction score
yea usually an autozone or pepboys can do it for you for free. Just call before you go because someitmes they make you wait an hour.

OP
OP
TheFuzz

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah the only thing I can think of is that if the engine is starving for fuel because of vapor lock (or whatever the hell is going on), then maybe it would tell the engine to kick down a gear to increase vacuum and fuel delivery because of the higher RPMs...? I have no idea though, and the fact that its starting rough has me a little baffled.

I was thinking about going to pep boys or AZ, just gotta google to find one around here.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
possibly 02 sensor?

I highly doubt vapor lock, fuel is moving pretty rapidly in a car driving, at idle, in traffic is when it would more than likely happen. Carb'd vehicles tend to do it worse.

Read SES, it will tell ya.

Volant1

Volant guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It may be the fuel pump mine did the same thing when I was on the freeway, next time it does it kick the gas tank worked for me for a while

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
Sounds like a possible pump failure, you're about due let's hope it doesn't shit until you're back at home. I'm doing a bigger one in mine for the nitrous, could always do two trucks at the same time :cheers:

chistoso

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This sucks balls man. bad shit always happens when you least expect it and it will never breakdown in front of your house, it's always gonna happen when you're not ready for it.

Get the SES code and go from there. Hopefully it won't be anything major and you can make it home..

Good luck!!

Suburbinator

Reaction score
How old is the battery ? Are the cables in good shape and nice and tight ? I've seen all kinds of odd behavior due to bad batteries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EliCamarillo