Should I put a grille guard on my Tahoe? is it worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djensen9367

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve been on the fence for a while about getting a push bar for my Tahoe and I just found one used on offerup for $150, and it is a full guard push bar and it looks to be in good condition.

Should I send it and buy it or would it be a waste of money?

I mainly like the look of them, but would it make my truck safer at all?
i have had grill guards on all of my ram trucks and put one on my suburban, my Ram took out the side of a new Ford f350 that hit us in LA, no damage to Ram except a little buff on the guard, without it it would have taken off the left side front end leaving us stranded. They bolt to the frame and are sturdier than they look. Also, deer do not stand a chance, there is a lot of flimsy things behind the plastic grill that will make you car undrivable. I consider the grill guard a dispensible safety item

Last edited:

11bravo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
To me, IMO, the guards are only for if you NEED it. Why put it on, for looks? The pic you show looks great. With a grill guard, not so much. Added weight to the front end. Trying to look like a cop car?
Also, they add another 6-8 inches to the length of your vehicle. You will find that, with face on parking, people will park much closer to you. Yoiu might also forget that it's there, and bump other cars when parking face on. The only reason I can see for one is if you live in an area heavily populated with deer. They will help reduce damage in the event of hitting a deer crossing the road. Just my own opinion, I think they look like crap.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best way to improve the looks of your Tahoe is to disable the daytime running lights. That way it doesn't look like you're driving around a Christmas tree.

I converted mine to park/turn signals for a quad park/turn setup. Also may look into wiring the side markers to flash alternately to the main bulbs like in the old squarebody trucks.

TahoeTex

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Purchased mine for deer armor. In the Texas hill country there are TONS of deer and the speed limit is 70+ mph. I just installed the Westin HDX grille guard and it's a beast. Additionally, many people think I am a cop now and drive respectfully/courteously (which is not always the case here). Well worth the investment, especially when I found a 25% coupon online. IMG_5671.jpeg

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Purchased mine for deer armor. In the Texas hill country there are TONS of deer and the speed limit is 70+ mph. I just installed the Westin HDX grille guard and it's a beast. Additionally, many people think I am a cop now and drive respectfully/courteously (which is not always the case here). Well worth the investment, especially when I found a 25% coupon online. View attachment 422857
Good for Texas and Canada !!

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Purchased mine for deer armor. In the Texas hill country there are TONS of deer and the speed limit is 70+ mph. I just installed the Westin HDX grille guard and it's a beast. Additionally, many people think I am a cop now and drive respectfully/courteously (which is not always the case here). Well worth the investment, especially when I found a 25% coupon online. View attachment 422857
Deer in the hill country! No way.

One night driving between Llano and Johnson City I quit counting at 200 deer on the shoulder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019