Would not Idle after Brief Stop - SOLVED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sooooo, my plan was to install my TBSS intake this weekend - but on my way home from work yesterday I stopped at the pharmacy to pick up some meds (because I'm old) and when I walked back out to my baby, she started but would not idle. Because this girl has never left me stranded, I managed to keep the RPMs up and got her home. It was exciting at times especially around tight turns when she would die (no power steering). Got her in the garage. Had dinner and a glass of wine with my wife. Went out to the garage, hooked up my scanner and no codes. Started her up and guess what she is running perfectly. Took her out for a long test ride and recorded her parameters and she ran perfectly and there does not appear to be anything obvious from the readings I have in front of me. I hate intermittent problems. Still runs great this morning. My first thought -fuel pump. I did replace the pump (OEM) 2 months or so ago though. Thoughts?

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sooooo, my plan was to install my TBSS intake this weekend - but on my way home from work yesterday I stopped at the pharmacy to pick up some meds (because I'm old) and when I walked back out to my baby, she started but would not idle. Because this girl has never left me stranded, I managed to keep the RPMs up and got her home. It was exciting at times especially around tight turns when she would die (no power steering). Got her in the garage. Had dinner and a glass of wine with my wife. Went out to the garage, hooked up my scanner and no codes. Started her up and guess what she is running perfectly. Took her out for a long test ride and recorded her parameters and she ran perfectly and there does not appear to be anything obvious from the readings I have in front of me. I hate intermittent problems. Still runs great this morning. My first thought -fuel pump. I did replace the pump (OEM) 2 months or so ago though. Thoughts?
At the risk of repeating back kind of a stock answer... Maybe something is up at the connector(s) or wiring at the pump?
Could very well be intermittent break in connectivity on ground or power.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Grounds.....check all grounds all over that thing. you live in a state with salt on the roads. Especially check the connections at the new fuel pump. Sometimes you push a connector back on and one of the pins will push out of the connector housing and then you have a weak/intermittent connection that temp and vibrations can effect. You especially need to check any wiring messed with during the fuel pump replacement, wires that were moved for access, other than at the pump itself. Did you do it or have the pump done and what brand of pump used?

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you atleast inspect the fuel pump truck wiring harness connector? They usually are burnt or overheated. Its very common for shops to only replace a bad fuel pump along with a new wiring harness connector. Thats why they are a stocked part at most auto parts stores. Many years of high current going to the pump ever second that the engine is running tends to heat them up and cause the metal connections in the connector to get overheated. I highly recommend ALWAYS changing that connector out anytime pump is replaced. Its cheap insurance and prevents another agonizing fuel tank drop.....that is full!

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grounds.....check all grounds all over that thing. you live in a state with salt on the roads. Especially check the connections at the new fuel pump. Sometimes you push a connector back on and one of the pins will push out of the connector housing and then you have a weak/intermittent connection that temp and vibrations can effect. You especially need to check any wiring messed with during the fuel pump replacement, wires that were moved for access, other than at the pump itself. Did you do it or have the pump done and what brand of pump used?
Thanks you for the suggestions. Because of this issue I took the day off and spent the day chasing wires and connectors. I did look at grounds, but i did clean these several years ago because of known issues. I installed an AC delco pump because the original lasted 290K plus. I did have an issue with a bent pin on the pump side when I tried to plug in the connector. But I corrected that issue. My girl is still running great even as I jiggled wires and connectors. The only connections I haven't tried are at the fuel pump. Difficult to get to those.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you atleast inspect the fuel pump truck wiring harness connector? They usually are burnt or overheated. Its very common for shops to only replace a bad fuel pump along with a new wiring harness connector. Thats why they are a stocked part at most auto parts stores. Many years of high current going to the pump ever second that the engine is running tends to heat them up and cause the metal connections in the connector to get overheated. I highly recommend ALWAYS changing that connector out anytime pump is replaced. Its cheap insurance and prevents another agonizing fuel tank drop.....that is full!
I did look at the connectors and they looked fine with no obvious issues. Never thought to change those out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts