Brake Control Module-Solved

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you own a 20+ year vehicle, you need to expect that you will at times need to address issues that randomly pop up. Yesterday, after work I fired up my baby, put it in gear and started to drive off and after pulling out of my parking space for about 100 yards the ABS light came on. Pulled over, shut the car off, popped the hood just look at any wire bundles I could see. Nothing obvious. Got back in car, turned the key on and check my dash lights. All was normal. Started the car and the ABS light was out. Put it in gear, light stayed out. Started to drive off and the light came on again. Brakes appear to work fine even through hard braking. Assume antilock brakes would not. Did not brake hard enough to check that out. Got home, hooked up my scan tool and received the following error codes: C0265 - EBCM Motor Relay Circuit and C0268 - Pump Motor Circuit Shorted. I guess I will start by looking at the wiring. Any other thoughts/suggestions?

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can pull the fuse in the mean time. That module finally failed on my 1999 Silverado about 3 years ago. On mine the dash lights just came on. I tried to remove it then and I stripped the torx bits. Doh!

I recently was able to remove it. Had to use a right angle adapter for my drill and drill out the screw heads. It's on my list of things to replace...

Edit: when I removed mine some of the coils were stuck and broke off.

Attachments

• 1424.jpg
    1424.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 1425.jpg
    1425.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Look in the relay box for your ABS relay. Lots of times there are other relays in there that are the exact same part # relay. Swap them, clear codes and see what happens.

I just looked at my relay box under the hood. No ABS relay but there is a 60 amp fuse. Maybe a relay elsewhere?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can pull the fuse in the mean time. That module finally failed on my 1999 Silverado about 3 years ago. On mine the dash lights just came on. I tried to remove it then and I stripped the torx bits. Doh!

I recently was able to remove it. Had to use a right angle adapter for my drill and drill out the screw heads. It's on my list of things to replace...

Bet it's this, sadly. :(

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bet it's this, sadly. :(
You can try to fix it yourself by opening the top and resoldering the board. YT has videos on how to do it. Takes about an hour and costs almost nothing if you have a soldering iron.

Otherwise order a replacement from RockAuto. They have the best price over local parts stores.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thank you @strutaeng , I will pull the fuse and get under there. I did pull this thing over ten years ago to fix a similar known problem and it was a pain in the ass. Not looking forward to it again. But I did replace those stupid tiny torx bolts with stainless bolts.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look in the relay box for your ABS relay. Lots of times there are other relays in there that are the exact same part # relay. Swap them, clear codes and see what happens.

I just looked at my relay box under the hood. No ABS relay but there is a 60 amp fuse. Maybe a relay elsewhere?
Thank you @OR VietVet , I'll look under my fuse box cover.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can try to fix it yourself by opening the top and resoldering the board. YT has videos on how to do it. Takes about an hour and costs almost nothing if you have a soldering iron.

Otherwise order a replacement from RockAuto. They have the best price over local parts stores.
I'll check out the wires first. But I agree repair or replacement is going to be required.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wires checked out, atleast I'm pretty confident they did. This morning the parking brake light is now also on. I'll pull updated codes to verify what I'm getting. Time to get under the truck and pull that module - just need to find the time to get around to it. It's also been brutally hot/humid here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660