Bad fuel Pump? (Solved)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
W

WestCoastie

Reaction score
See the post below for specific fuel pressure test and specs. Replace the fuel pump relay just to rule it out; maybe test with the old one and again with a new one.

The Flex Fuel system on your year will have an inline fuel filter on the driver's side frame rail (near the alcohol sensor); consider replacing it if the age is unknown.

New fuel filter with maybe 1k on it.

Relay is brand new and good. Fuse is good.

I forgot to mention that I have an occasional issue with the fuel gauge, where it reads empty when I know it has fuel in it. This issue is very intermittent so I mostly forget about it.

I went ahead and ordered the fuel pump. Now I hope it warms up enough for me to want to do it.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did you replace the Cam Position Sensor during the rebuild and/or recently?

And/or the crank sensor? Either one would be preferably OE, not aftermarket. And if either one was changed, a correlation procedure is highly recommended.

Also is the hard start on a cold engine, or hot, or both?

You may need a new fuel pump lock ring, too, depending on the condition of the existing one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WestCoastie

Reaction score
And/or the crank sensor? Either one would be preferably OE, not aftermarket. And if either one was changed, a correlation procedure is highly recommended.

Also is the hard start on a cold engine, or hot, or both?

You may need a new fuel pump lock ring, too, depending on the condition of the existing one.

The hard start happened whenever it felt like it, hot or cold didn’t make a difference. The hard start happened more often than not.

Might need a new lock ring. I’m holding out hope I don’t. It was a Texas plains truck and now in the NW where it gets washed regularly. There is almost no rust on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I replaced cam and crank sensors. Mostly because they fell apart getting them off. Scanner shows them working though. That thought definitely ran through my head though.
Did you use OEM? If not, does it do this:

That's mine with a non OEM cam sensor in it. Swapped to OEM and it starts first try, every try. I did a cam/crank correlation as Fless suggests, but these engines just don't like non OEM cam sensors. (I did the relearn again after putting in the OEM).

OP
OP
W

WestCoastie

Reaction score
I mean that does sound like it. But I feel like all hard starts kind of sound like that?

I spent the extra money after reading on here and when I did the rebuild I got OEM sensors.

The thing that’s got me leaning toward fuel pump, is its obviously been a problem in the past. The random fuel gauge issue. And the fact that it won’t keep pressure up at the rail after everything is turned off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019