Won’t shift at WOT any advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Truck drove great prior to the engine build we did drop the pan and change the filter maybe that had something to do with it drives fine but wide open throttle it free spins right before it shifts it’ll hold first but not second or third wide open I put a vette servo in it and it kinda helped but obviously did not fix it what is next? Pan drop another new filter and maybe new shift solenoids and tcc? Thanks for any advice guys A4FB53C3-74E0-407A-B11B-A86EE7771983.jpeg

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If transmission worked fine before engine rebuild and never worked correctly since engine was reinstalled then I would suspect program in PCM is setup wrong. Has there been someone in there doing a tune? 2&4 are the only gears that use the 2-4 band.

OP
OP
Trey Hardy

Trey Hardy

Reaction score
Anything other then first gear will let loose above 5,000 or so it was set to shift at 6,100 rpm it is tuned but by a reputable tuner it was doing this prior to the new tune when I was running off the previous tune but ran fine prior to the fluid change and motor work note motor was not pulled only heads all work was done in the engine bay tranny fluid is at level im gunna change the fluid again and another new filter but I did not know if it was worth trying silenoid or not

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Anything other then first gear will let loose above 5,000 or so it was set to shift at 6,100 rpm it is tuned but by a reputable tuner it was doing this prior to the new tune when I was running off the previous tune but ran fine prior to the fluid change and motor work note motor was not pulled only heads all work was done in the engine bay tranny fluid is at level im gunna change the fluid again and another new filter but I did not know if it was worth trying silenoid or not
I really want to know how that is done? By "that", I mean, making a whole sentence out of all that info. My head hurts, but I am old after all.

OP
OP
Trey Hardy

Trey Hardy

Reaction score
I was at work sorry
Truck ran fine before I ever Parked it

It was tuned for the Longtubes and exhaust and the mods I had done at the time transmission shifted fine no issue

I changed the pan fluid and filter what time we were doing the head and cam swap

After we got the truck running and driving and somewhat broke in I give it it’s first full throttle but when I got up in the higher rpm range 5,000-5,500 it feels as if the torque converter lets go completely and the truck red lines and will not shift until I let off of the throttle

I thought maybe it was in the tune so I finally met up with my tuner and when he went to drive it the first thing he said was she’s slipping like a MF we done what we could but couldn’t continue because we would’ve blew the tranny

My question is could I have messed something up in the filter change?

Is it worth another fluid and filter change what time I’m in there?

There 3 solenoids in there ones for torque converter clutch is it worth changing these with new ones?

I feel like it’s in the converter more so then the transmission but why would it act up now if it was working perfectly fine a year or so ago before I started building it.

It’s depressing spending over a year building the motor and suspension on this truck finally got it together and now the transmission is acting up…

So any advice would be helpful

Only mods to the transmission was in the tune

I did add a corvette servo hoping it would help with some of the slipping and it did not

Again truck drives for the most part fine but slips like hell on wide open throttles mainly in the higher rpm

Trucks parked once again until I get this issue resolved

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the tranny was toasted then I would expect it to be slipping aound 2-3k well before 5k. Check filter make sure that it is fully seated into the valve body and has not dropped down into the pan.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomase1269

Latest posts