Windshield Wiper Judder after new glass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the blades worked fine with the original windshield, that tells me the blades are probably still fine. Since it started with the new windshield, that tells me its probably the windshield. Being new oem glass, it probably just has some type of coating on it that needs to be cleaned off.

TexasLC

Reaction score
So I bought a windshield from Safelite for an older Land Cruiser. I was told it was OEM glass, and paid extra for it…but after seeing sand and bits very easily with any kind of sun glare I went down a rabbit hole on windshields. Safelite does not always have true OEM glass. Manufacturer vendors do have different standards than some 3rd party vendors.

My point is, just cause Safelite says it’s OEM doesn’t mean it’s literally the same glass you’d get from GM. I would double check the glass you got and see what quality it is…

OP
OP
Deuce16GMCs

Deuce16GMCs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I bought a windshield from Safelite for an older Land Cruiser. I was told it was OEM glass, and paid extra for it…but after seeing sand and bits very easily with any kind of sun glare I went down a rabbit hole on windshields. Safelite does not always have true OEM glass. Manufacturer vendors do have different standards than some 3rd party vendors.

My point is, just cause Safelite says it’s OEM doesn’t mean it’s literally the same glass you’d get from GM. I would double check the glass you got and see what quality it is…
IMG20230611184821.jpg

So this is marking/label on the bottom left corner of my windshield 2023 Tahoe now.

I never thought to check the label on the previous glass because I assumed Safelite was going to use the an OEM.

So it may very well be OEM. I have nothing to compare.

I was told that since I have Super Cruise, HUD and Adaptive Cruise that they were required to use OEM glass.

Can anyone verify if this is the correct glass?

TexasLC

Reaction score
Google the 43R sku and compare the specs above it to what you find as OEM from factory.

you might very well have a true OEM windshield.
if that’s the case you might need to ceramic or deep clean of the glass like previously mentioned.

OP
OP
Deuce16GMCs

Deuce16GMCs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dd u
Google the 43R sku and compare the specs above it to what you find as OEM from factory.

you might very well have a true OEM windshield.
if that’s the case you might need to ceramic or deep clean of the glass like previously mentioned.
Does the factory treat or coat the windshield on a new car?

Is this something that doesn't get done when replacing a windshield, but does get done at the factory in a new build?

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dd u

Is this something that doesn't get done when replacing a windshield, but does get done at the factory in a new build?
Dude clean the windshield and get some good wiper blades. If safelight says it's oem it's oem. My wife's 21 venza needed a windshield and they didn't even play with the idea of aftermarket since it has lane trace and HUD.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dd u

I have had several new windshields in my life, none ever resulted in wiper judder.

I suggest following the above advice, cleaning the windshield well...also consider maybe you need new wiper blades? Those are inexpensive at the dealer...could be the combo of your somewhat older blades w/ the new windshield is doing you in.

I suggest:
Clean the windshield w/ some good isopropyl or rubbing alcohol, also clean the wiper blades w/ same alcohol.
If that doesn't work, get new wiper blades and install.

P.S. Based on your photo, you have OEM glass (it wouldn't have the GM logo on it otherwise)

Onlyone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Directions for your new windshield. Get in your truck, then get out and spin once. Then walk to the front of your truck and spin twice. Then go to the passenger side and spin only once and and extra 30 degrees to the left. Ok now get some Dawn dish soap, hot water, a kitchen sponge (not the scratchy side) and clean the window. While it’s wet, use a brand new razor blade and clean the window with that. Done. Some of this might work, but at this point you might as well try all of it.

UsualSuspect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had wipers do that on an old 95 GMC pickup. Went to the dealer, mechanic walked out, opened a Coke, poured some on a rag and proceeded to clean the windshield. After he cleaned it with eth Coke, he use some sort of glass cleaner in a can, wiped it off. Never had the problem again. He said Coke works everytime, just don;t get it on the paint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan