After attempted theft: windshield wipers, climate control, gas and temp gauges are bad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricHunter

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2002 Tahoe was broken into, and the thieves jammed a fake key into the ignition. I replaced the ignition cylinder switch and was able to start up the truck. The problem I still have is that none of these are working:

-- Windshield wipers (front and rear)
-- Climate control (heat and AC)
-- Gas gauge and temp gauge (voltage and oil pressure gauges work!)
-- Gear selector panel only lights up when truck is not running
-- Battery light stays on, even though battery is charging fine and alternator working

Any idea what would cause all of these things to go bad? I checked the fuses for windshield wipers and climate controls. I also checked the wires on the steering column incase some may be damaged from the thief jamming their tools in there.

Thanks!!

WichaDC5

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What was the issue? Mine is doing the same thing. No wipers, no ac, no fuel and temp gauges, battery on message center, no tow/haul icon, no high beam icon….im lost bought both pcm and bcm and it won’t even do the key relearn!!!

OP
OP
EricHunter

EricHunter

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2002 Tahoe was broken into, and the thieves jammed a fake key into the ignition. I replaced the ignition cylinder switch and was able to start up the truck. The problem I still have is that none of these are working:

-- Windshield wipers (front and rear)
-- Climate control (heat and AC)
-- Gas gauge and temp gauge (voltage and oil pressure gauges work!)
-- Gear selector panel only lights up when truck is not running
-- Battery light stays on, even though battery is charging fine and alternator working

Any idea what would cause all of these things to go bad? I checked the fuses for windshield wipers and climate controls. I also checked the wires on the steering column incase some may be damaged from the thief jamming their tools in there.

Thanks!!
UPDATE! It was a damaged ignition switch. Everything works now that I replaced that switch.

WichaDC5

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine shorted out when removing a poorly installed alarm system!! Previous owner lost the remote for it and just removed it since it had a bird nest of wires under the dash. Hopefully it’s just a broken wire or the actual switch. It drives fine and all lights and windows work as they should except all the things u mentioned

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar