Why can't GM offer engines like all the other manufacturers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to have a Dmax or cummins in my Denali, tow for miles and miles and never break a sweat. I miss the torque of my Cummins, it would pull my RV over any grade from portland to LA and never have to down shift to 5th, it amazed me going over the grapevine at the posted towing limit...ok maybe just a bit faster. My Denali over the same hills is down in 2nd. Oh well, nothing a turbo wouldnt fix.

LaxinFish29

Reaction score
I'm not in to brand loyalty, except American, and after driving an ecoboost it is hard not to be impressed. The wife's vehicle is the Tahoe that we are trading in on a Suburban and mine is an F150 which were moving for a 250. If you keep your truck stock and trade in or sell every few years, keeping vehicles under warranty then the eco would be hard to pass up.

I don't have the luxury to do that, so I went with the 5.4L because only time will tell with the turbos but I can't say I'm not intrigued.

scottg918514

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We're still stuck with the 5.3L or the 6.2L in SUV's, or 5.3 or 6.0 in 1/2 ton trucks.

Ford offers the turbo V6 in their 1/2 tons and some SUV's. Just drove an F150 with that new engine while pulling a 4500 lb trailer and it pulled better than my Denali. That engine makes 420 lb-ft of torque at just 2500 rpm which is way more usable that the Denali. Can also get that engine in an Explorer. Oh, and we got 16.5 mpg pulling at 75 mph, almost what the Denali gets without a trailer.

Dodge offers a V6 turbodiesel with 420 lb-ft of torque at just 1800 rpm. Can be had in their 1/2 ton pickup, Grand Cherokee and Durango. Grand Cherokee tow rating of 7400 lb , and 1/2 ton towing of 10,100 lb and 30 mpg

Audi, VW and Porsche offer a V6 turbodiesel with 406 lb-ft at 1800 rpm, 8 speed automatic and 7700lb tow rating

BMW X5 available with 6 cylinder turbodiesel with 425 lb-ft from 1700-2200, and 6500 lb tow rating.

What does GM give us? An old pushrod 5.3L V8 or 6.0, 6.2. No turbodiesel except in a Cruz, or a $65,000 2500HD truck. Wake up GM, stop plugging the Volt and develop technology people want to buy without government incentives.

I like watching car/truck rebuid shows, like the PowerBlock shows, Fast-n-Loud, etc. Almost every engine swap I've seen is a GM LS engine. I don't see Ford engines used, much. Hmmm.

That's said, I have 2 Fords also.

doubletapdrew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Audi, VW and Porsche offer a V6 turbodiesel with 406 lb-ft at 1800 rpm, 8 speed automatic and 7700lb tow rating
We recently had a customer who traded in a brand new (like 2-3 month old) VW Touareg diesel that he paid probably $60k+ for.
Couldn't tow his travel trailer worth a damn. We got him into a 2500HD duramax that he's been very happy with. We got him as much money as we could for the VW but he still took a big $$ hit.
Just because something has the tow rating doesn't mean it's the right tool for the job (or even safe).
Now we're starting to get reports of eco-boost owners getting single digit fuel economy numbers when trying to tow anything more than an port-a-potty.
Hopefully they will get something like that 4.5L duramax back on the fire for the half tons (and possibly SUVs).

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not in to brand loyalty, except American, and after driving an ecoboost it is hard not to be impressed. The wife's vehicle is the Tahoe that we are trading in on a Suburban and mine is an F150 which were moving for a 250. If you keep your truck stock and trade in or sell every few years, keeping vehicles under warranty then the eco would be hard to pass up.

I don't have the luxury to do that, so I went with the 5.4L because only time will tell with the turbos but I can't say I'm not intrigued.

My cousins boyfriend just bought the F150 w/ecoboost and allegedly got 23mpg towing a small trailer with a Honda Recon. I never seen anything close to 20mpg with nothing in tow!! The Navigator gets the eco I may be jumping ship, just saying....

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife a 13 explorer sport with that so called glorified crap-o-boost engine. It gets worse mileage than our 12 suburban, requires premium gas and does not tow worth crap. It is quick but when you hook up to a little trailer it's like a weak little engine. And I'm not a fan of turbo lag in full size vehicles. Be thankful for the V8s.

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

My cousins boyfriend just bought the F150 w/ecoboost and allegedly got 23mpg towing a small trailer with a Honda Recon. I never seen anything close to 20mpg with nothing in tow!! The Navigator gets the eco I may be jumping ship, just saying....

For real? The navigator is gonna need a lot more than an ecoboost before I'd touch it with a ten foot pole... Yuuuuck

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score

23mpg average pulling a trailer? Ehhhhhhhh..no.

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
23mpg average pulling a trailer? Ehhhhhhhh..no.

Thats what he said and why I said allegedly! I know my truck I have keeping track of my mileage and the last tank I barely got 200 miles from the tank around town. Dont get me wrong I have been using the key fob to start the truck because of the heat but the average is like 8mpg! WTF!!!

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats what he said and why I said allegedly! I know my truck I have keeping track of my mileage and the last tank I barely got 200 miles from the tank around town. Dont get me wrong I have been using the key fob to start the truck because of the heat but the average is like 8mpg! WTF!!!

Dark tint. Window vent caps, and an insulated reflective windshield cover. Mine sits in the 90+ heat all day and I hop in and it's cooler than outside. Also 5% front and 5 over stock in rear.

I hand calc 16 in town consistently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz