Why can't GM offer engines like all the other manufacturers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TowGMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We're still stuck with the 5.3L or the 6.2L in SUV's, or 5.3 or 6.0 in 1/2 ton trucks.

Ford offers the turbo V6 in their 1/2 tons and some SUV's. Just drove an F150 with that new engine while pulling a 4500 lb trailer and it pulled better than my Denali. That engine makes 420 lb-ft of torque at just 2500 rpm which is way more usable that the Denali. Can also get that engine in an Explorer. Oh, and we got 16.5 mpg pulling at 75 mph, almost what the Denali gets without a trailer.

Dodge offers a V6 turbodiesel with 420 lb-ft of torque at just 1800 rpm. Can be had in their 1/2 ton pickup, Grand Cherokee and Durango. Grand Cherokee tow rating of 7400 lb , and 1/2 ton towing of 10,100 lb and 30 mpg

Audi, VW and Porsche offer a V6 turbodiesel with 406 lb-ft at 1800 rpm, 8 speed automatic and 7700lb tow rating

BMW X5 available with 6 cylinder turbodiesel with 425 lb-ft from 1700-2200, and 6500 lb tow rating.

What does GM give us? An old pushrod 5.3L V8 or 6.0, 6.2. No turbodiesel except in a Cruz, or a $65,000 2500HD truck. Wake up GM, stop plugging the Volt and develop technology people want to buy without government incentives.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2500HD's can be had for less than $65k

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lets see how long a turbo v6 will handle all that weight just saying. Ive said it once ill say it again there is no replacement for displacement Period

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
go buy a dodge or ford or any of the others you mentioned if you want....

X2

I like having a pushrod. More crap = more crap to break. GM can barely make these right...... oil consumption and lifters, trans shift like crap etc. Last thing I want is the turbo blow up too.

Last edited:

tights24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I honestly think the problem isn't the engines in the end, it's the "configuration" of them. There's no reason why they can't get better torque numbers out of the 5.3. if they did, it would be better for towing, and still maintain decent numbers cruising on the highway. It's almost as if GM is using the 57 different gear choices as a solution for those who want to tow, and not just pumping the torque up to a more usable level. Even making it 370 or 380 would make a world of difference from towing to a little fun stop light to stop light. Instead, you have to either get a bunch of after market parts, or buy the 6.0 and lose fuel economy as a whole. Oh well, it is what it is.

04SS99Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the LS series motors are the best engines out on the market. thats probably factual at this point also. you sound like a real fool knocking them for some ford/dodge mistakes. go hang on ls1tech and look at how many fords/dodges/bmws/nissans/toyotas i can go on forever do LS swaps in there cars. get your facts strait before you come ranting about something you obviously know nothing about.

also.... your comparing towing motors to non towing motors. take a duramax 6.6 and compare it to those and see what will out tow what

pmexpert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with the last comment. I have lot of examples of LS application on nissan drift-cars
The engine is simple, but with a great resource.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz