Boat towing with the 2021+ transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

masterfisher

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a Tahoe or Yukon 5.3L 4wd. It will be my daily vehicle and will also be using to tow my 18.5 ft fiberglass bass boat (about 3,200 lbs) to the lake (1-2 times a month). The roads there are steep being in the north Georgia mountains. I was initially looking at the 2021/2022 tahoe/yukon but I've been reading about many having issues with the 10 speed transmission in the 2021+ models. Is this something I should be concerned about with regards to towing the boat?

It has me thinking maybe I should go with a 2020 or prior with the proven 6 speed. I do prefer the looks of the 2021+ body style, but I'm definitely fine going with a low mile 2019/2020 if it means less chance of having future drivechain issues from towing that boat, especially on the mountain terrain roads where my lake is. I'd greatly appreciate any feedback from the forum!

Last edited:

BrokerThis

'22 Denali Dmax
Reaction score
Transmission isn't the issue, lifters were the main issues for 21-22's.

Get options with air ride / tow package, and enjoy the rig.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even though you are not towing at maximum weights, get a truck that has all of those features including the integrated trailer brake controller, external engine and transmission oil coolers, etc. 2-speed transfer cases come and go with availability, it's nice to have on a slippery ramp. Nice to have on a hot day in the mountains.

I've not heard of problems with the 10-speed in either generation of truck. What are you hearing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan