5.3 DoD Delete Stock Replacement Cam -- What's the Verdict

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

TNBob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The camshaft in our engines is "parked" at ZERO.. The VVT can only retard the cam timing.
It generally does this at higher RPM to make our 'little' cams seem "larger" at more rpm.
The factory cams are really small & that's OK with VVT because they can act like a big boy cam
when commanded to do so.
Yes, by full advance, I meant zero, but zero is precise! Like the description of how it works.

Seanslane

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
did you ever figure out what cam you wanted? I am going through the same deal right now. Mine is a 2017 Tahoe. Still trying to find out what engine I have. Hahaha. I was just going to put exactly what came out and keep it stock. Run good motor oil and hope for the best. I didn’t know there was a stock GM cam that was a dod delete?

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So L96 cam is closest to stock LMG? Notice any difference?

solli5pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used this one when I did the delete. Truck runs great and I do not notice the loss in H.P...

• 12689035 (190/191, 0.466/0.457, 114). This one is the default “stock replacement” cam sold with many DoD kits, but it is a bit anemic. It is the same cam used in the LMF 5.3 engine (VVT but no DoD, found in Express/Savana vans), which is down about 15 hp and 15 ft-lb from the LMG.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dprdmd