Which one of you did it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
That’s one to be proud of. Having it fall out is one thing but then getting the rear diff past the trans as it’s rolling under the vehicle is something entirely different. I’m thinking the driveshaft still being attached to the diff acted like a push bar like you see at the drag strip. But even if it was pushing it down the road and was able to push it off to one side, having the bell housing slide under the frame rail is unbelievable. Especially on a 2wd. I’d love to see what the driveshaft looks like.
Also I’m a little jealous too. I fought the trans getting it off the engine on the wife’s Esky. I swear, I could have left the bolts out and drove that thing for years and it would have never come off. Lol

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought it might have been a Photoshop trick. But, skid marks on the Jersey barriers and on the ground indicate the truck was shove off to the side, into the barriers and laid some tracks trying to stop.

One heck of a ride for that guy! He'll need new seat covers.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
This may well be the best "Here, hold my beer" moment I have ever seen the ramifications from!

If you can stab the trans, hand tighten the bolts and lines, add fluid, put it in gear and head straight for the liquor store and have this happen on the way home and be found by the Highway Patrol sitting in your driver's seat drinking said beer.........well, "You might be a redneck"!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I thought it might have been a Photoshop trick. But, skid marks on the Jersey barriers and on the ground indicate the truck was shove off to the side, into the barriers and laid some tracks trying to stop.

One heck of a ride for that guy! He'll need new seat covers.
Looks like he heard something amiss and was on an exit ramp.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The drive shaft yoke on the transmission does appear to be snapped off. The yoke is missing.

Maybe the cross member, where the transmission mounts, rotted through or just fell out for the tranny to come free like that.

My guess from what can be seen, would be:
Transmission cross member failure, transmission drops down, driveshaft bites into pavement, tears bell housing from the motor, acts as a pole vault (as mentioned by @Snowbound), driveshaft kicks truck into Jersey barriers and lifts truck up and over the transmission as it rides up the barriers on passenger side, clears transmission before skids to stop ahead of the rubble.

Possible shop/mechanic never finished bolting in the cross member and mount...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz