Which engine oil do you use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SpThomass

Reaction score
For starters I drive a 2006 GMC Yukon denali xl, LQ4 6.0.

i wasn’t really sure wether or not to post this here or the engine/drivetrain category. So if this is the wrong place sorry haha.
But I was just curious as to what kind of oil you guys use, I’ve been running royal purple for every oil change for about a year now, and was looking at other options. I figured what better place to look for advice than the forum with the same people and the same LS trucks as me.

anyways, what is the oil you guys use and why? thanks in advance if I don’t reply quickly!

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
I always go with full synthetic. Lately I’ve been using Valvoline. And I always get a 10,000 mile filter as I only change the oil once a year. I believe the whole “change your oil every 3000 mile” thing was true with conventional, but definitely not needed with synthetic. According to the truck computer I still had 48% life of oil until I needed a change. Changed it anyhow as it was coming up to a year in November. The truck has 160,000 miles and still going strong!

Tiki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Royal Purple. From what I gather utilizing clean oil helps prolong AFM related issues, so I error on the “low side” mileage requirements. I’ve noticed slightly better oil pressure and slightly quieter valve train noise on my GMT900 6.2 using the RP instead of Mobil1.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rotella Gas Truck 0w-20 at 5-6k mile intervals. AC Delco filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Valvoline full synthetic or Mobile 1 full synthetic.

Asking what people think is the best oil to use is like asking a bunch of guys which craft beer is the best.:eek:
When I saw the thread title I was reminded of countless "which oil" threads on various car forums over the years. While I don't expect it here, they usually devolve into idiotic debates on which oil is better. I just keep a dinosaur in the garage and have him shit in my engine every 5K miles.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use either AC Delco or Mobil 1 EP
AC Delco Filters