Which engine oil do you use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
SpThomass

SpThomass

Reaction score
When I saw the thread title I was reminded of countless "which oil" threads on various car forums over the years. While I don't expect it here, they usually devolve into idiotic debates on which oil is better. I just keep a dinosaur in the garage and have him shit in my engine every 5K miles.

Haha It was never my intentions to start a debate or anything. In school we were talking about the oil we use and some people were surprised I used RP, so I was mainly curious as to what others with the same gen trucks were running.
Also with everything going on RP is a little expensive for me right now, so I was trying to get an idea of what’s a better alternative. But corona is the best cerveza hands down!

OP
OP
SpThomass

SpThomass

Reaction score
I always go with full synthetic. Lately I’ve been using Valvoline. And I always get a 10,000 mile filter as I only change the oil once a year. I believe the whole “change your oil every 3000 mile” thing was true with conventional, but definitely not needed with synthetic. According to the truck computer I still had 48% life of oil until I needed a change. Changed it anyhow as it was coming up to a year in November. The truck has 160,000 miles and still going strong!

Do you notice any better results with Valvoline vs anything else? And yea I’m not much for changing it too often but I’ve been trying to raise my gas mileage so I’m doing it more often among other things.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha It was never my intentions to start a debate or anything. In school we were talking about the oil we use and some people were surprised I used RP, so I was mainly curious as to what others with the same gen trucks were running.
Also with everything going on RP is a little expensive for me right now, so I was trying to get an idea of what’s a better alternative. But corona is the best cerveza hands down!
First off, Corona is not a craft beer!:eek:

As far as a cost effective oil, Amazon Basics makes an full synthetic oil that gets good reviews and some of the folks here have been using with good success.

I don’t think you can go wrong with most of the Dexos rated full synthetics out there.

OP
OP
SpThomass

SpThomass

Reaction score
I use either AC Delco or Mobil 1 EP
AC Delco Filters

I’ve noticed a lot of people with these trucks not necessarily the same gen using acdelco oil filters, Besides being made specifically for the type of car it’s for, is there another use or benefit? Just curious! :)

OP
OP
SpThomass

SpThomass

Reaction score
First off, Corona is not a craft beer!:eek:

As far as a cost effective oil, Amazon Basics makes an full synthetic oil that gets good reviews and some of the folks here have been using with good success.

I don’t think you can go wrong with most of the Dexos rated full synthetics out there.

I’ve heard some good things about Amazon’s oil, I’ll probably give it a try at some point. And true it’s not a craft beer but I didn’t say it was haha its just the best overall in my opinion!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I’m gonna catch some for this. I run 15w40 Rotella with Wix filters. I grew up a Castrol user. I still use the full synthetic Castrol in the wife’s car.

I run Rotella T6 for diesel. 11.7W-40

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve noticed a lot of people with these trucks not necessarily the same gen using acdelco oil filters, Besides being made specifically for the type of car it’s for, is there another use or benefit? Just curious! :)

The reason I use AC Delco Filters is because I am just not comfortable using anything else. Been using them forever.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Do you notice any better results with Valvoline vs anything else? And yea I’m not much for changing it too often but I’ve been trying to raise my gas mileage so I’m doing it more often among other things.

I personally don’t see any difference. I’d be happy with any full synthetic. Amsoil, Royal Purple, Amazon Basic, Quaker State, etc...all the same to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019

Latest posts