Which build months are safe from lifter problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chloe_21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’ll get different sides of the story.

first it was anything built after March is OK. Now it’s anything built after May is OK.

I’m not 100% sure if this is even true, but I have heard talk of the auto start and stop feature being one of the main problems. So I’m not sure if that was connected to it. However I have not seen any post with issues so far with vehicles that do not have the start and stop feature or any vehicles that have been built after June.

I know that the auto start and stop feature is supposed to save fuel, however it is the dumbest technology ever because from my understanding the starter for the vehicle will wear out much quicker every time the engine idles and cuts off only to start up again.

Just understand you’re under warranty anything under 8K miles that fails both being so lifters will be replaced. And always understand and know your lemon laws just in case.

I purchased a first year remodel design of the GMC Acadia‘s they were known for transmission problems and all that, however I just sold mine, 8 yrs old, 41.2K miles on her, and she was perfect not one issue!

So I believe it is the luck of the draw and that only so many people have issues where as most people do not; you’ll just mainly see post about issues versus post about how much people of their car. People that love their car are usually too busy to post about it because they’re too busy driving their vehicle, and most don’t even think about it.

Shrubs2K2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that the auto start and stop feature is supposed to save fuel, however it is the dumbest technology ever because from my understanding the starter for the vehicle will wear out much quicker every time the engine idles and cuts off only to start up again.
I have an 11/20 build so it will be interesting to say the least how all this pans out.

I am now in the habit of disabling the auto stop/start feature as soon as I fire up the engine as this is one "feature" I can most definitely live without.

lasallen

Reaction score
If we were to quantify how many lifter failures vs how many 2021's are out there, what would be the percentage of failures?

ruise

Reaction score
If we were to quantify how many lifter failures vs how many 2021's are out there, what would be the percentage of failures?

Just like "how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop," the world may never know. Personally, I think it is a very tiny number compared to the huge number of vehicles that have been produced.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think the number is Tiny... But I also dont think the number is huge. I would have to think its likely near 15% of the total units, and since this particular engine goes across product lines, you need to include the other engines, the diesel, and I4, since these engines were also used on the Trucks, and the SUV's, into the grand total of units built.

The catch is, with chip shortages, and plant shut downs, do we even know how many total units were built.

lasallen

Reaction score
Just like "how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop," the world may never know. Personally, I think it is a very tiny number compared to the huge number of vehicles that have been produced.

I was thinking the same, just wondering if reading these post cause us to worry more than necessary.

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If a guy plans on driving it for 100,000 miles these early failures aren't confidence inspiring. OTOH, if you plan to trade before warranty expires then the only risks are being stranded far from home, being without a vehicle while GM tries to source some spare parts and or a big hit to trade in value. Dirty Harry said it best.

waynehead99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A lot of the internet is Chicken Little. It is an issue that initially concerned me after I got my 21, but after thinking about it I am most likely gonna fall under the 99% of the internet that doesn't have issues and doesn't complain.

If it happens, it happens. I have a warranty. If it happens outside the warranty, I know how to pull a head and fix the issue in a weekend. It's a matter of what level of risk a person is able to accept.

OTOH, I turned in a 2019 MDX under lemon law, and the 2020 MDX they gave me that I turned in for the tahoe wasn't much better. All the manufactures are struggling with quality right now because of the crazy advances in these computers on wheels. Add more crap, expect more problems. This was another thought that put me at ease on my purchasing decision... who you gonna go to? Every car manufacture has their issues that get headline news on the internet of complaints.

Last edited:

DmaxDenaliXL

Reaction score
I dont think the number is Tiny... But I also dont think the number is huge. I would have to think its likely near 15% of the total units, and since this particular engine goes across product lines, you need to include the other engines, the diesel, and I4, since these engines were also used on the Trucks, and the SUV's, into the grand total of units built.
Is this also affecting the 3.0L Duramax? I thought it was limited to the gas engines.

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is only on the gas engines but don’t think you diesels are in the clear…

There has been reports of the diesels having the long crank and not starting.
Google it. Similar issue GM is unable to pin point and may be visiting dealers for guesstimates on what the issue is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo