Which build months are safe from lifter problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How was your break in period? I don’t really see much conversation about that. Yes the OM says to keep it easy for the 1st 500 mi but me personally I noticed engine waking up at about 1k, more at 1.5k and again more at 2k.
Also read that lifter issue may be related to low oil levels. Not sure how accurate that is. Long time Chevy owners I talk to say engine break in may be a possible factor.
Would you buy a vehicle that the OM says go easy on it for the 1st 1-2k miles…

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have over 16k miles on mine; was one of the first owners (of 2021) on here. No lifter issues. Mine felt like it took 3-5k miles to fully break in. I've never been a fan of this powertrain (5.3 and 10 speed). It seems ruff at idle, with shudders at lower gear changes and low on power. Power is just adequate, but not fluid. I guess I'm trying to say the powertrain is not refined.

Yukon21Denali

Reaction score
I have over 16k miles on mine; was one of the first owners (of 2021) on here. No lifter issues. Mine felt like it took 3-5k miles to fully break in. I've never been a fan of this powertrain (5.3 and 10 speed). It seems ruff at idle, with shudders at lower gear changes and low on power. Power is just adequate, but not fluid. I guess I'm trying to say the powertrain is not refined.
That adds up to the theory of its being limited to certain batch of bad lifters. If it was something more fundamental like a flawed design/engineering, we would see far more failures.
We should open a poll thread, let’s see % wise how bad it is. I’ll be surprised if it’s in double digits.

Kevz1088

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Same with 14k miles and a build date of 6/20 (knock on wood). And agree 100% with everything else. I recently had a 21 LT rental with 6k miles that felt way more peppier even though it was the same engine and drivetrain. Maybe I should drive mine a little more like a rental to unlock its full potential!

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I must add here that my new AT4 idles just fine and shifts much better than the SLT. Everything feels better with this newer build. Steering and even the turn signal. Crazy what an extra year of manufacturing and/or experience makes... I truly believe that my first 21 Yukon was build with Covid temp employees.

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any GM V8 with DFM is a ticking time bomb thanks to a piss poor design that can cause harmonic bending.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos