Wheel project: Black or color-match?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just think, someone drove around on those tires to get them to that point.

That someone was a high school kid. He wasn't the punk you'd expect after seeing these tires, though. He was a really good dude- very polite, respectful and jumped in to help anywhere he could on his own initiative. He's studying to be a pipeline welder. He LS-swapped his OBS Silverado.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice find! Can't make any suggestions regarding paint/colors, though.

It's never easy with me!

Very nice! After you get the tires off can you please weigh them for me? I'm still looking for lightweight wheels.

I personally don't care much for the machined bits on a wheel, I prefer all one color especially for big luxury wheels. Also black gets old quick so I vote grey.

You know I will! I found yesterday (I think on Verde's site) a chart that said they're 45 lbs. So, these are NOT the lightweight wheels you seek. I want lightweight 22s, but, for now, I'll keep my declads as my lightweight "racing wheels". I wanted these just for the looks of them.

I'm still undecided on the finish, but was really leaning towards CM when I went to sleep and when I woke up.

The color looks great as-is.......I wouldn't change.

They need something cuz it's really faded-looking. But, yeah, I'm pretty much settled on gray.

My PPV wheels with OEM sized 265/60-17 tires weighed in at 70lbs each.

My declads with 295/45-20 Pirelli run flats weighed in at 77lbs each......so once you figure in the weight of the run flats (7-10lbs excess weight per tire) I broke even. The run flats I got cheap and thats the only reason I got them.

I will replace the tires before winter and I will be able to shed that excess weight.

My declads and 275/55 Eagle LS2s are 70.6lbs and my RST 22s and Brickstone Dueler HPs are 81.6lbs. I'm expecting these and the planned 275/45-22 to be right about the same.

gold on grey is hawt

Too hawt for me. I gotta punch within my weight class.

I would keep it as is. These wheels would look cheaper if you will paint them.

You mean if they were Graystone and gloss to match the body? I'm thinking the current color looks like I'm trying to CM but failed. I wonder if they'd look the same if I sprayed 'em Graystone, but used a matte clearcoat.

I'm not a fan of the machined areas on those wheels. If it were me, I'd get the curb rash fixed, strip them and powder coat them all one color.

I like that they're already close to the body color. Based on what I can see, I think they'll look great. If you don't want them grey, I'd pick something other than black. Black is played out. Maybe a lighter or darker grey, or a bronze color would look good.

If you keep parts of the wheel machined, or polished, be aware that the apparent color of the wheels will shift a little lighter. I noticed this on my Platinum wheels with the chrome inserts on the spokes. I had them powder coated a graphite color. But with the inserts, they almost look silver in overall brightness.

Good input. I only wanted black because it's cheap and easy and I have the gloss black grille and the factory black trim here and there. I'm also considering wrapping the roof gloss black after welding up the roof rack holes. I'm pretty well settled on some form of gray if not Graystone and, as of the valid points in the past few posts, I'm reconsidering keeping the milled edges.

They look pretty good as is, and as you said they almost match your paint already, so I would either keep them like they are or CM.

Black is kinda played out, IMO.

I agree. But, there might still be some black in there somewhere to tie in with the black grille and possible other black trims later.

I'm with most everyone else, first time I looked at them on your truck, I thought to myself, self, keep them as they are! But if you are set on making a change, go with your Plan A Chris, color match the truck and keep the milled edges.

I just feel the current gray isn't quite right. If my Tahoe were black, white, red or blue, matte gray wheels would look good. With it being Graystone, I think they either need to match or contrast.

Everyone- thanks for your feedback!

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I have stared at the pics for some time and think either color match the greystone or go to a matte black that matches the color of the running board black.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That someone was a high school kid. He wasn't the punk you'd expect after seeing these tires, though. He was a really good dude- very polite, respectful and jumped in to help anywhere he could on his own initiative. He's studying to be a pipeline welder. He LS-swapped his OBS Silverado.

He probably did a 3rd gear burn out right before putting them up for sale!

97YukonNZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi
You could go a flat/matte metallic of your body colour that would compliment both your colour scheme and the black addition present and pending?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Reminds me of me in high school, just liked to have fun.....but worked my ass off

Jwc15

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Probably rides rough and tires that fit will be xtra expensive and you won’t know for sure until it comes time to mount and balance the tires on them. Then fitment in that wheel well and turning what kind of offset are they and are you going to scrape? Lots of unknowns and risk cost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019