Wheel project: Black or color-match?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, I ended up with a set of these 22x9.5 Verde V24 Invictus wheels. I mounted and spun each of them on the front to check for bends and looked 'em over as close as I could for cracks, etc. All looked well so I brought 'em home. They need some minor reconditioning which will include paint. I had planned on gloss black with whatever wheels I got. But, these, being a matte gray, are close enough to my Tahoe's Graystone Metallic to get me thinking.

Here they are mocked up. I positioned them to hide the spokes of the de-clads:

IMG_5905.JPG

IMG_5906.JPG

IMG_5907.JPG

The "concave-ness" doesn't show as much in the pic, but the spokes angle inward a decent amount, which I like. The other point of this pic is to show the milled edges of the spokes:

IMG_5908.JPG

These wheels are available in gloss black and they look good. But, the more I look at these pics, the more I'm thinking I wanna paint 'em Graystone. I'll keep the milled edges, though. Other considerations are painting the hoops black, maybe all the way to the lips. Also, since the lips will be getting some "machining" to fix some mild rash, they'll look like the milled edges. Do I leave them machined or paint 'em? I have plenty of time to ponder this. First step is to get the junk tires off.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice find! Can't make any suggestions regarding paint/colors, though.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice! After you get the tires off can you please weigh them for me? I'm still looking for lightweight wheels.

I personally don't care much for the machined bits on a wheel, I prefer all one color especially for big luxury wheels. Also black gets old quick so I vote grey.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My PPV wheels with OEM sized 265/60-17 tires weighed in at 70lbs each.

My declads with 295/45-20 Pirelli run flats weighed in at 77lbs each......so once you figure in the weight of the run flats (7-10lbs excess weight per tire) I broke even. The run flats I got cheap and thats the only reason I got them.

I will replace the tires before winter and I will be able to shed that excess weight.

the_tool_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the machined areas on those wheels. If it were me, I'd get the curb rash fixed, strip them and powder coat them all one color.

I like that they're already close to the body color. Based on what I can see, I think they'll look great. If you don't want them grey, I'd pick something other than black. Black is played out. Maybe a lighter or darker grey, or a bronze color would look good.

If you keep parts of the wheel machined, or polished, be aware that the apparent color of the wheels will shift a little lighter. I noticed this on my Platinum wheels with the chrome inserts on the spokes. I had them powder coated a graphite color. But with the inserts, they almost look silver in overall brightness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons