What type of oil to use for Winter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ladorn45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I have been reading up on what type of oil I should be using for the tahoe in winter weather, but keep getting mixed advice. Would like to get everyone's input on what grade oil they use on their tahoes in the winter. I live in NJ so we don't have super harsh winters but I do Drive up north a lot. Any input would be appreciated.

OP
OP
L

ladorn45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay so you don't put 0w or 5w in your truck during the winter?

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 165k I now use Quaker State Defy 10w30 High Mileage (semi-synth). I did originally use Mobile1 5w30 full synthetic but it ended up going right by the valve stem seals and piston rings gunking up / carbonizing my valves and top of pistons. As you can imagine it was eating oil quite rapidly...about 2 quarts every 3-4k mIles. Now I burn 1/2 quart per oil change. Either its the higher weight oil im using, the high mileage additives or a combination. Either way im doing quite well now in the oil consumption department.

I did do a fair bit of research and it's actually recommended to use 10w30 over 5w30 if you use your truck for any type of play/towing/offroading as it offers better protection. All 5w30 gets you is maybe .5 mpg more and quicker winter starting. You will have to weight the pros and cons yourself. I would say use 5w in the winter and 10w in the summer. Seems like a no brainer.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts