Oil catch cans freaking work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Antonm

Antonm

Reaction score
I use Costco Kirkland brand conventional diesel oil in my old mechanical 6BT Cummins trucks. Oil analysis results has shown it be to on par with everything else, so I pick up some every time I find it on sale.

Perhaps try switching to a 5w30 and see if you still get the same catch can fill rate.

On a side note, some of the older Mercedes diesels (like the OM617) had a factory oil separator built into the air filter assembly and its drain just returned to the crankcase via what looked like a second dipstick tube.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Costco Kirkland brand conventional diesel oil in my old mechanical 6BT Cummins trucks. Oil analysis results has shown it be to on par with everything else, so I pick up some every time I find it on sale.

Perhaps try switching to a 5w30 and see if you still get the same catch can fill rate.

On a side note, some of the older Mercedes diesels (like the OM617) had a factory oil separator built into the air filter assembly and its drain just returned to the crankcase via what looked like a second dipstick tube.
Mercedes-Benz still have them, they call it an "oil centrifuge" I believe. I am also considering switching to 5w30 due to my research, not due to oil consumption. And lastly, I did not know that there were any Kirkland Signature "conventional" or diesel oils. I have only seen full-synthetic!

OP
OP
Antonm

Antonm

Reaction score
Mercedes-Benz still have them, they call it an "oil centrifuge" I believe. I am also considering switching to 5w30 due to my research, not due to oil consumption. And lastly, I did not know that there were any Kirkland Signature "conventional" or diesel oils. I have only seen full-synthetic!

Says "conventional" on the cardboard box that holds the three gallon jugs, but doesn't actually say the word conventional on the bottle label. I guess the absence of the word synthetic implies conventional.

For the casual reader, I use this in a Cummins diesel truck I also own, NOT the tahoe.

oil.jpg

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Says "conventional" on the cardboard box that holds the three gallon jugs, but doesn't actually say the word conventional on the bottle label. I guess the absence of the word synthetic implies conventional.

For the casual reader, I use this in a Cummins diesel truck I also own, NOT the tahoe.

View attachment 425595
Interesting. Maybe I've neglected to notice it.

Darkstar72

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just put a J&L catch can on my 2017 Denali with the 6.2L a few weeks ago and it’s definitely doing its job. This is my first direct injected vehicle and after seeing all the videos with the carbon covered valves it was a no-brainer to put it on the truck. Super easy install and replaced the PCV valve at the same time.

dancastro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been following this thread.
First time I've heard of this device. How critical is it to put one on a 5.3?
The bigger question is why doesnt GM include them on the build?

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been following this thread.
First time I've heard of this device. How critical is it to put one on a 5.3?
The bigger question is why doesnt GM include them on the build?
They aren't a factory item because most people don't even check their oil let alone check a disgusting messy catch can filled with the Devil's syrup.