What else did you look at before pulling the trigger on a Tahoe/Yukon? Any regrets??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tweak48

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was looking to replace my '05 Z71 Tahoe with another large SUV. Besides the 2016 Tahoe I ultimately went with, I considered:

A top choice was a Land Rover LR4, but when I found out they replaced that sweet little 4.0 V8 with a 3.0 six, it became a non starter.

Second was Toyota Sequoia. Very nice, but bad gas mileage and starting to look a little dated.

Third was a Lincoln Navigator. It's really old, but with the current incentives you can get a base Navigator for around the same as a LT Tahoe. I know about the horsepower/torque advantage of the EcoWhatever, but I personally have a hard time with a six in a Navigator.

Fourth, a Toyota Land Crusier. Another $15k or so, but man that's a nice rig. All new for this year.

Regrets??

I know it's my fault for not doing better due diligence, but when arrived at the dealer to take delivery on my ordered LT, my eyes nearly popped out when I opened the tailgate. So much less space inside! My dogs crate barely fits, and I have to fold down a second row seat. I can't get my road bikes in with removing the front wheels. The seats don't fold flat; they slope. My wife and I test drove a 2015 at night, and I paid no attention to the cargo area. I just assumed it would be roughly the same as my 2005. I seriously considered eating my $1k deposit. Sometimes I wish I did.

Anyway GM did a knockout job with the interior (except for those stupid, mandatory 3rd row seats which only fit little kids), the exterior is growing on me, and the V8-4 5.3 is very smooth. And with only 456 miles on the clock, I'm getting much better mileage than on my old Tahoe. None of the buffeting I read about either. Still, I might be willing to trade all that off for the extra room in a Sequoia.

Everyone else happy with their Tahoe??

evoalex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked out a '14 X5 and was about to look at a Porsche Cayenne. But ultimately went with the Tahoe, since I was trading in a '10 Hoe.

uat1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Personally I think this is a wrong time of buying a Tahoe/Yukon. Many are upset about the buffeting/vibration issue that no real solution to the fix, I don't think GM even admits the issues YET (I might be wrong on this). I almost jumpted in with the purchase of a Tahoe LT but I am now sitting on the sideline to see how GM handles these issues before making the purchase.

OP
OP
tweak48

tweak48

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I checked out a '14 X5 and was about to look at a Porsche Cayenne. But ultimately went with the Tahoe, since I was trading in a '10 Hoe.

I priced a Cayenne on the Porsche web site, and if you keep it bare bones it's not too different from a Tahoe LT. If you get all the knobs, you can double the MSRP. Would have loved to have one, but just too small for my lifestyle.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was an inch from pulling the trigger on a Range Rover sport. Love the look and the ride. It has a third row (BARELY) but the interior cargo space just isn't there.

Ended up ordering a Denali and will take delivery in about a month. I've driven 5 Yukons/tahoes and have only noticed minor buffetting and on one I noticed vibration at 75mph. Before I sign on the line for my Yukon I'll be taking on a good 1-2 hour drive (highway, dirt and pavement) to make sure I'm ok with the build.

If I'm not, back to the drawing board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

undertaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was seriously disappointed with the non-removable 3rd row seats and that little cargo junk behind it myself......but I caved and I'm picking up an escalade for the wife tomorrow. Of course I'm keeping my suburban, but I really feel like they killed the cargo area of the trucks........

no room for dead bodies, no room for engines....these things are really going soccer mom. I'd honestly prefer non-power removable 3rd row seats like the prior body style.

Denada

Reaction score
You said the Land Cruiser was new so I took a look at Toyota's Web page... MSRP starting at $83k!?! I nearly spit out my coffee. That's ridiculous. The interior is cheap looking and the exterior is extremely dated. I just don't get it.

The truth is, there is no comparable vehicle with the size, power, features and styling the current gen Tahoe/Yukon/Denali/Escalade has. If there were, do you think we would honestly put up with all these issues?!? :/

There is only one full sized, reasonably priced, 300/400+HP, bad ass SUV left on this planet and we are driving them gentlemen and women. Range Rover Sport, Cayenne, LR4, etc. are called cross overs for a reason.. It's because you used to be cool but have now crossed over to soccer mom status.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Range Rover Sport, Cayenne, LR4, etc. are called cross overs for a reason.. It's because you used to be cool but have now crossed over to soccer mom status.

Those aren't crossovers.

And a cayenne and RRSport are for sure much 'cooler' than the ultimate mom-mobile suburban. Every frumpy mom in my town owns one...

But you're right. There just aren't good 'full sized' choices right now. Maybe the new wagoner will finally give GM some much needed competition in this segment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thebishman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The MB GL is a nice ride; we had a 2008, but the pricing has shot up tremendously. To get a pretty well loaded 550 with the options my Denali has stock would have cost me about $25K more than I paid for the GMC. Again though, with the third row seats up there's essentially no storage space. Maintenance costs are much higher than the domestics as well.

bgsntth

Reaction score
I considered the:
  1. Mercedes GL: expensive, poor reliability, and bad experience with an ML I leased
  2. Sequoia: Not enough headroom - as my head was firmly into the headliner. Old design and overpriced.
  3. LR4: Love this truck, but I owned an '06 LR3 and it is basically the same truck with the same issues that bugged me in the LR3 still present in the LR4. Low supply, long wait times to order, and selling at MSRP finally ruled it out. I would have purchased an LR5, which looks to fix all of my issues, but it is not coming until 2018.
  4. Q80: Really ugly, questionable offroad, expensive, poor resale.

I did not consider the Cayenne, but leased an '09 GTS with a manual transmission. It was an awesome truck, but I would never own one without a factory warranty. I now have three offspring, so both it and a pre-owned Range Rover were out of the running. I needed three real rows of seats with luggage space when all rows are in use, and real offroad capability.

Z71 - Tally ** 11-20-2015.jpg

Last edited: