What else did you look at before pulling the trigger on a Tahoe/Yukon? Any regrets??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

evanescent03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
we were replacing our sporty, fun, but rapidly shrinking BMW X3. we have two kids, a dog, like to travel and like to do some occasional towing (trailer, camper, car for track days). We considered and test drove all of the following (except where noted):

Range Rover Sport: expensive, small for our family, everyone i talked to who does/has owned them says they break constantly. wife has always wanted one, i like the way they look and drive, but just felt like we needed something bigger.... i'm sure we'll eventually get one but now is not the time. oh and towing capacity is 7700lbs.

BMW X5: would've wanted the 50i (X5M out of our current price range), also pricey but at least a beast of a motor at $70k compared to the Rover's much more modest power. the smaller gas motor and the diesel motor are nice options but just not enough pizzaz OR space and required after-purchase installation of towing components (hitch, trailer brake, etc)

Tundra Crewmax Platinum: longer wheelbase is annoying around town, 2nd row is huggeee, upscale interior (for toyota... good quality but very basic construction). price was great and almost went for it, but then took the Denali SWB for a second drive.

Sequoia: way old looking, just can't. didn't even test drive it.

4runner: headroom is awful for me (only 6'2".... wife loves 'em, she's 5'4"). short test drive to appease my wife but knew it wouldn't be for us. they do look nice and i'm not against them, just not for us. motor is weak feeling.

Land Cruiser: awesome truck with the redesign, but the price is too high for what you get... low 70s it would've been a real contender and likely what we went for. never even test drove one because there are none around and the local toyota GM has been waiting 2 months for his personal LC.

Lexus GX470: sounds like it needs some updating. the V8 not exciting, per se. the side-hinged tailgate a turnoff. lexus brand is a turnoff. **no test drive.

they each had their pros/cons but i think my wife and i both had an "ah-ha" moment while we were on our second Denali (SWB) test drive. it has a "truck" feel being a high seating position for visibility and sensation of safety, great first row, decent second row space (better than other most of the others we tested, but much less than the Tundra Crewmax), very good power, towing capacity, esthetics and the captains chairs which is a really cool feature. Done, and done. No regrets and we've already owned it for 2 days!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts