What else did you look at before pulling the trigger on a Tahoe/Yukon? Any regrets??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the XL, but looked at the Expedition EL, Navigator L, Cadillac Escalade EXT, and a Range Rover Sport.
I had a 2009 Expedition EL trade in and like the new Expy's. I don't like the new turbo 6 though and was quite shocked the Navi couldn't be order with an 8 either. Call me old fashioned, I don't care. I wanted an 8.
The Cadi's are nice but to get one to where I wanted it I was looking at $100K.
I really liked the RR Sport. But I need something to tow our boat- 5000# and did not read high recommendations on the Sports and towing.
The most disappointing was the Navigator. For a price close the Denali, it was highly disappointing. It looked 10 years older than the Denali. So bland and old man looking.
I would place the Expy as the 2nd vehicle. But the interior was pretty unchanged from my '09, had a 6, and (as I know) you see them everywhere. And the less blinged out Expy's look really bad.
One thing is that almost all Suburbans, Yukons, Denali's look pretty nice.

And there is just something about a GMC Denali. Not as in your face as an Escalade, but still a nice masculine swag(my daughter's word) to it.

Cmicasa the Great XvX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my SLT but do have a regret that I didn't wait for the Escalade inventory to be up enough for me to go that route. I actually went in to the Cadillac dealer to trade my '07 LTZ Tahoe in on one, but at the time all they had was the ESV.. I mozied over to the GMC dealer across from it and asked about Denalis... NONE except one XL.. actually bought a Sierra Denali, but realized that I was not a truck guy and took it back the next day free and clear.. saw my fully loaded , 'cept the 6.2L, Catherina on the showroom floor and wrote a check.

Never considered any other brands.. one because the only other American on the market was the Expy and Nav.. and they are old.No way no how I would buy a foreign one.. seriously.. I give them the props for beating us for a while on Compacts and Midsizes... (No Longer tho) but they never beat us on Trucks and SUVs

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I considered the:
  1. Mercedes GL: expensive, poor reliability, and bad experience with an ML I leased
  2. Sequoia: Not enough headroom - as my head was firmly into the headliner. Old design and overpriced.
  3. LR4: Love this truck, but I owned an '06 LR3 and it is basically the same truck with the same issues that bugged me in the LR3 still present in the LR4. Low supply, long wait times to order, and selling at MSRP finally ruled it out. I would have purchased an LR5, which looks to fix all of my issues, but it is not coming until 2018.
  4. Q80: Really ugly, questionable offroad, expensive, poor resale.

I did not consider the Cayenne, but leased an '09 GTS with a manual transmission. It was an awesome truck, but I would never own one without a factory warranty. I now have three offspring, so both it and a pre-owned Range Rover were out of the running. I needed three real rows of seats with luggage space when all rows are in use, and real offroad capability.

View attachment 57947

Is the picture blurry because the tahoes shaking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bgsntth

Reaction score
Ha Ha. Absolutely no buffeting or vibrations up to 90 mph. I'm running 18' wheels with 275\65 AT's, have the Z71, and have the cross-bars with surfboard pads, which may be helping (?). Who knows? I'm happy - truck drives great for a big-arse truck.

Denada

Reaction score
Those aren't crossovers.

And a cayenne and RRSport are for sure much 'cooler' than the ultimate mom-mobile suburban. Every frumpy mom in my town owns one...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_Cayenne

Class: Mid-size luxury crossover SUV

And every frumpy mom here in Newport Beach owns a Cayenne. Those cars just aren't cool in the true sense of the word. They are rarely modded aside from some rims & tint and they are as ubiquitous as McDonald's. What makes our cars "cool" is the level of personalization, the styling, the V8 growl, and the American pedigree. You can't buy cool, you make it.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_Cayenne

Class: Mid-size luxury crossover SUV

And every frumpy mom here in Newport Beach owns a Cayenne. Those cars just aren't cool in the true sense of the word. They are rarely modded aside from some rims & tint and they are as ubiquitous as McDonald's. What makes our cars "cool" is the level of personalization, the styling, the V8 growl, and the American pedigree. You can't buy cool, you make it.

I can agree the Cayanne is a crossover. None of the others you mentioned are though.

I think I found our disconnect.

Seems what you may find 'cool' I may find 'garish'. (Heavily tinted windows, crazy rims/tires etc etc).

We can agree to disagree though. It's all good. Cars are a personal taste thing.

Last edited:

bgsntth

Reaction score
My '09 Cayenne GTS was pretty manly. It had a 410bhp V8, 6-speed manual, air-suspension with PDCC (active sways), low-range, 18" AT tires, aluminum skid plates, factory free-flow sport exhaust (insane), and all the other GTS goodies (alcantra interior, sport seats etc).

09 GTS.JPG

OP
OP
tweak48

tweak48

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Beautiful Cayenne! And in GTS form, there isn't a Tahoe/Suburban on the planet that will turn a 4.8 sec 0-60 time with a 163 mph top end. If that's frumpy, I'm in every time.

But my Gordon Setter, luggage, and my 6' plus kids don't fit in a Cayenne very well, and even my Tahoe gets full. Especially with this 2016.

All that after market stuff is really a matter of personal aesthetics and cultural inclinations. Just look at the size of the Vegas SEMA show in case you doubt after market popularity. But the way I see it, Ed Welburn hires lots of talented guys from the finest design schools in the world, and I personally don't think I can improve on their designs. About as far as I get is maybe some Weathertech mats and college license plates hahaha.

Denada

Reaction score
I can agree the Cayanne is a crossover. None of the others you mentioned are though.

I think I found our disconnect.

Seems what you may find 'cool' I may find 'garish'. (Heavily tinted windows, crazy rims/tires etc etc).

We can agree to disagree though. It's all good. Cars are a personal taste thing.

Sure they are. Does a Cayenne really differ that significantly in terms of cargo capacity or performance from an RR sport? Not really. Of course the main similarity is that they are both relatively useless. They neither get the fuel efficiency or performance of a car, nor do they have the cargo room or tow capacity of a full size SUV. I mean does it really matter if your Cayenne has 400 horse? The guy in the 911 Turbo one lane over will smoke you. Oh, you're going to take it to the track? That would be hilarious. You can't tow anything except a uhaul trailer. Plus they barely fit 4 adults (forget any luggage). Long story short, those midsize/crossovers are in a totally different class than our Tahoes and Yukons and if you were considering buying one than you were comparing apples and oranges.

Oh and I never said heavy tint, crazy wheels and crazy tires are cool. Some tint, nice wheels and nice tires can be however.

Look, what constitutes "cool" is subjective to some degree but that doesn't mean you can put a huge Indy car spoiler on top of your Tahoe and call it cool. It's not. There are a lot of people making poor design choices with their vehicles on these boards. If they like it, I suppose that is all that matters [to them]. But at the end of the day those that have a true understanding of what is and isn't cool will just quietly shake their head and laugh.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't tow anything except a uhaul trailer. Plus they barely fit 4 adults (forget any luggage).

RRsport has an inch more headroom in the rear than the Tahoe and more cargo space when all seats are being used.

Additionally 7700 lbs is a pretty big uhaul....

But I agree that 22" dubs and (darker than factory) tint looks silly on pretty much any vehicle.

Don't get me wrong. The Tahoe/Yukon is a great car (I have one) but there's lots of valid alternatives out there if you aren't regularly hauling 8 people and a boat.

Sent from my iPhone9 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz