Stunned!! Denali 6.2 spun a rod bearing at 25k..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ALT1345

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm still in disbelief. I was the biggest die hard GM V8 fan in the world until a few days ago. I bought this truck FOR THAT (basically) CORVETTE MOTOR. Do you know how hard it is to see all these trucks around and not like them anymore???? Damn.

They offered Enterprised but our family has plenty of cars.

We think the PO never used premium, bc it was a company car, and it knocked *bad* on regular. Would that have anything to do with it? Still though, 25k? We've put 2,000 miles on it. It just died on the interstate.

Still, so disappointed. Turns out the best truck V8 was the Toyota 5.7 IMHO. My LX570 with 135k you could put a brick to the throttle and let it bounce off the limiter for a whole tank of fuel over and over it's such a beast. It's a gas guzzler and a little behind power wise, but still nevertheless 383 hp is enough and it's just stupid reliable.

I seriously have lost faith in GM, and it's really a shame.

Could bad fuel have caused this??

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt its fuel probably oil change intervals, oil wieght, and bad maintenance.
Did GM warranty engine?

OP
OP
A

ALT1345

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I doubt its fuel probably oil change intervals, oil wieght, and bad maintenance.
Did GM warranty engine?

Oh yeah, warranty. And they'll be extending TF out of it for the whole truck, even buying it back maybe. My family has used this dealer for 55 years (seriously) and used the same salesman and they're gonna make this right. We've bought a million or two in cars from them adjusted for inflation over the years. Can't help but want to trade it on another LX, a last year LX570 V8 (2021). I'd like to not worry about my 73 y.o mother getting stranded on the interstate from a blown engine, it's just absurd.

Let me ask, y'all think this could be from some bull**** fuel economy trick?

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say you were treated very well by GM they are machines that need correctly maintained which from first post you admitted that you thought Original owner wasn't doing.

You have any proof of a Toyota engine sitting on rev limiter all day without any problems.

OP
OP
A

ALT1345

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would say you were treated very well by GM they are machines that need correctly maintained which from first post you admitted that you thought Original owner wasn't doing.

You have any proof of a Toyota engine sitting on rev limiter all day without any problems.

In any case... only 25k for a motor to blow from no premium gas??? That would really destroy a GM V8? We had the GMT800 with the 5.3, unkillable. Had the lifter tap for 10 years on startup. Never even changed the coolant or serviced it ONCE in over 20 years other than oil changes. Still going strong when we donated it.

Toyota 5.7 will outlast any truck engine on the road. Zero fuel economy BS tricks, not even direct injection. Fanciest tech is 30 year old oil-actuated VVT-i. It sure isn't a common thing for those to fail like these are. They're absolutely proven.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In any case... only 25k for a motor to blow from no premium gas??? That would really destroy a GM V8? We had the GMT800 with the 5.3, unkillable. Had the lifter tap for 10 years on startup. Never even changed the coolant or serviced it ONCE in over 20 years other than oil changes. Still going strong when we donated it.

Toyota 5.7 will outlast any truck engine on the road. Zero fuel economy BS tricks, not even direct injection. Fanciest tech is 30 year old oil-actuated VVT-i. It sure isn't a common thing for those to fail like these are. They're absolutely proven.
Ok

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with the gas used in it and everything to do with poor quality (out of tolerance) rod and main bearings installed in the 6.2L.

Google 6.2L spun bearing. There’s a lot of them out there and yours is now on the list, unfortunately. Purely anecdotal evidence, but we’re seeing more of these in the ‘22 and ‘23 model years, so I would not be surprised GM switched to a different supplier in the last couple of years, quality control was poor and this is the result.

Good relationship with your dealer will help, but they will also need to be able to get their hands on a L87 long block and those are not easy to come by these days.

OP
OP
A

ALT1345

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't want this thing back, that's the problem. I was obsessed with the truck until now. The interior of that thing is stunning. And so was the acceleration until the engine blew. The dealer did try to fib and say it wouldn't affect resale value when I brought it up.

I think the dealer that we've bought cars from for over half a century should buy it back from us somewhat near what we paid for it, or switch us into a demo for minimal cost and then they have one with the second engine as a demo. Minimal loss for us out of loyalty. Like I said, at least a million and a half bucks in cars from us...same salesman even. They can take a couple grand loss for our loyalty. Who has even heard of using a place for that long? Lol.

Guess I'll get that LC500 convertible I wanted. LX570 won't ever break, I guess that will be my only truck for now I guess.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts