What year would you avoid in a Tahoe or Yukon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmgirl77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have no choice but to trade my 16 Yukon in at this point. Between the no click no start, and the continuous electrical drain that we are unable to find. I cant keep paying this much for something that sometimes starts, especially with winter coming.
I thought this would be easy and I would buy a new Tahoe RST but Im not loving the lack of amenities in it. The dealer showed me a 19, but looks like they also have some serious electrical issues as well.

Does anyone have a year that they can recommend that seemed ok?

Thanks

Ibustbravo

Reaction score
I only know the year models that I have. 2015-2018.. I think they're all good vehicles with good engines. I feel like I lost on the 'get a newer model year' gamble though.

If I were to do it again I'd find a super-clean gen 3 or 4 suburban with a billion miles on it and replace the engine and trans straight away. As opposed to paying 50K for a 3yr old yukon and only getting 4 years out of the engine and trans before I had to replace both..

Hindsight is always 20/20..

C

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I can only speak for the NBS era. Less bling but more reliable in the long run, IMO. Way more comfortable too. When I bought my 2005 Z71, I could afford brand new but like @Ibustbravo said, I would rather buy something older and do an engine and transmission and pocket the difference.

thegrunter

Reaction score
Not sure if the Tahoe ever got the 8 speed tranny like the Silverado, but I would say those years based on the Silverado issues. I think the Tahoe went from 6 to 10, but I am by no means an expert on that.

OP
OP
gmgirl77

gmgirl77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Kind of depends where you are. If you are up north, anything older than 8 years is gonna be a rust pit. If you are down south, I’d consider a 2012 or 2013 if you found one not too high miles. Or, dive in to a new one…
Thanks, I am up north. I do garage my vehicles and wash them regularly. I wish I could just keep what I have, but this electrical issue is out of hand. Nobody sells their vehicle because they love it. I guess I could always get an extended warranty.

OP
OP
gmgirl77

gmgirl77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not sure if the Tahoe ever got the 8 speed tranny like the Silverado, but I would say those years based on the Silverado issues. I think the Tahoe went from 6 to 10, but I am by no means an expert on that.
Yes, they are all 10 speed now I believe. I havent seen one that is a 6 so far.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I am up north. I do garage my vehicles and wash them regularly. I wish I could just keep what I have, but this electrical issue is out of hand. Nobody sells their vehicle because they love it. I guess I could always get an extended warranty.
Suggest taking to an independent shop and maybe have someone check all the grounds…GM notorious for botching the ground system and it causes all sorts of bad and hard to diagnose stuff…

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts