What do i need to recalibrate my speedometer after my tire/rim swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

totalpackage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i am registering about 4 mph slower than i am actually travelling. What tool or electronic device do i need to make the change?

2010 LS Tahoe

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i am registering about 4 mph slower than i am actually travelling. What tool or electronic device do i need to make the change?

2010 LS Tahoe

The guy who sold you the new tire/rim package may have a scan tool sophisticated enough to do that.

As stated above Black Bear tuners can do it, a Diablo Predator can do it, you may have a member here close enough to drive to, who owns a Tech 2 that can do it for you as well.

Where you located?

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i have been quoted $100.00 to make the adjustment. I can buy this for $360.00.
https://www.amazon.com/DiabloSport-...1-2676-104-3&vehicleName=2010+Chevrolet+Tahoe
Does anyone know of a more inexpensive tool?

East Tennessee

Maybe someone reading this thread close to you who has a Tech 2 will respond. It certainly isn’t an hour of labor time, more like 10min.

You might also call around to tire shops in your area that do a lot of aftermarket sales, a commercial scan tool probably can get it done cheaper than $100.

Frankly, you can buy a Tech 2 clone for less than $360. Of course, you can’t turn AFM off with a Tech 2, so...

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe someone reading this thread close to you who has a Tech 2 will respond. It certainly isn’t an hour of labor time, more like 10min.

You might also call around to tire shops in your area that do a lot of aftermarket sales, a commercial scan tool probably can get it done cheaper than $100.

Frankly, you can buy a Tech 2 clone for less than $360. Of course, you can’t turn AFM off with a Tech 2, so...

I thought the Tech 2 tire size setting did not affect the speedometer. (?)

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I frankly don't know, I assumed it did, but perhaps the factory assumes everyone is only going to run stock tires. Other than wheel speed calibrations for ABS/traction control, why would they even include it as something you can change if it didn't affect speedo calibration?

I swore I wasn't going to pick mine up for a while, as I already have sunk too much time into it, but maybe just this once... :)

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I am sitting right in front of my Tech 2 and can’t find where it even takes tire size data. I swear I saw it, but it might have been one of my training videos I watched, which use a lot of different type cars for examples.

In any case, right now it looks like you are right, a Tech 2 might not do it, at least on these trucks. I know it does it on some GM vehicle, but maybe not the trucks. Now more time on YouTube finding the video I know I watched. :(

So for now, for the OP, maybe find someone local that uses HP Tuners?

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I found the instruction video I watched on the Tech 2 setting tire size and it was a freaking Saab. :(

I went through most of the pages on my Tech 2 and didn't find anywhere that it would calibrate the speedo off tire size.

Looking for the Tech 2 video, I did see a bunch of aftermarket devices that will reprogram the speedo calibration based on tire size that are a lot less expensive than a Diablo Predator. I think it will still be more than the $100 quote you already have in hand. Sorry for the bad advice on the Tech 2.