What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just had s3x with yukon for 2 days, we tried allll different poses and my hand/fingers tried going into extremely tight places.

Developed an exhaust leak and smell.
All bolts on manifold were intact, but soapy water test indicated leak at driver side last bolt.

Got myself bolt extractors, new gaskets and 3 different clamps just incase.
Started taking off bolts, sprayed overnight.
As soon as i touch that last bolt it breaks apart.
Take out others, 4 come out good 1 breaks.

Couldnt take manifold off of ypipe, it’s stuck dead there, none of the bolts moved :(
Didn’t go torch way as it was waaaay to hard to reach there to take them out, bolts come from underneath.

So i used big iron handle to move manifold a little and fit in extractor, front bolt came out easy, last bolt in the back I couldn’t bend manifold enough to fit extractor and have room for taking bolt out:(

I’m thinking no problem right, i got the bracket/clamp!
I reach out to that super tight back area and there’s something screwed into top hole.
A piece of some material attached other side to the car body, and ofc the bolt in the back was attached with most amount of torque they could produce.

Took me maybe few hours to come up with monster link to get in there and break it loose, while smashing the ratchet into my face.

Now comes installing part, the back side is so tight fit you can barely put 2 fingers in there from top or from bottom/side through wheel well.
There was no way to install that bottom bolt, i even removed firewall, but my hands are big and I couldn’t get in there, would probably need some crazy long offset ratchet.

Frustrated i decided to keep it on one bolt, at least something pushin down the manifold.
Installed everything back, no leaks so far, runs smooth.

Will see if it develops a leak again, if it does I’ll find some super long offset wrench or take it to shop to get manifold off and remove broken bolt.

Also noticed a lot of rust under flare, luckily I’m close to Detroit so tons of spare parts, will probably swap both sides and bumper over winter.

Have a great Canadian Thanksgiving everyone!

Great post, I feel your pain. Good job.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front driver's brake caliper froze the other day. Lots of smoke and heat... Praise Zeus for towing reimbursement.

Replaced caliper and bled brake. This is the schmutz that came out. I had no way to drain the reservoir the other day, but plenty of fluid, so I kept adding it until the tank and output were clear.

Got a power bleeder in the mail today, and redid the front.

More to follow.....

Attachments

• IMG20221011163613.jpg
    IMG20221011163613.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 8

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Front driver's brake caliper froze the other day. Lots of smoke and heat... Praise Zeus for towing reimbursement.

Replaced caliper and bled brake. This is the schmutz that came out. I had no way to drain the reservoir the other day, but plenty of fluid, so I kept adding it until the tank and output were clear.

Got a power bleeder in the mail today, and redid the front.

More to follow.....
that fluid looks good, mine turns black in 12 months without fail so it gets flushed annually.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that fluid looks good, mine turns black in 12 months without fail so it gets flushed annually.
Here's the rest...

mhxvH7U.jpg

The Motive pressure bleeder made it waaaay easier than having my GF pump the brake pedal.

I probably didn't need to jack up and remove all fours wheels to bleed, but at least it was some exercise.

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fixed my back-up camera last night. Been intermittently working and finally stopped all together. I checked the wiring when it first started and all looked snug and tight in the rear light assembly (trigger wire) using a crimp connection...Well, that was the culprit so I pulled that out and spliced the wire in the harness and added shrink wrap to the connection. Camera is back working again but not before I was sure it was the HU and did a factory reset! DOH!!!! :banghead:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After replacing that window regulator Sunday afternoon, I hitched up my trailer to go grab some landscaping rocks (maybe 200-300 lbs altogether, at most) that my Tahoe Twin buddy was giving to me. Came home, unhitched the trailer and parked in the garage- all was well. Showered and headed back out to go visit my stepdad in the hospital. Never exceeded 4,000 RPM since leaving the house and had the cruise set at 70 once I reached the highway. About five miles later, I felt what seemed like a loose wheel or U-joint vibrating. It went away when I lightly accelerated or shifted to neutral. Accelerating felt strange so I turned the radio down and heard clacking. Gauges showed all vitals were normal. There's no lights or any safe place to pull over, so I eased it to a well-lit gas station and shut it down. Oil on the dipstick looked good and saw nothing external. Clacking sounded like a lifter but also deeper and like there was more than one thing clicking/knocking.

Jenn was nearby so she picked me up and brought me to Walmart to get a tow strap. Garrett (the "Tahoe Twin") brought a floor jack and jack stands. I jacked up the rear, unbolted the driveshaft and roped it to the muffler:

IMG_2575.JPG

Yes, those appear to be original U-joints. 14 years and 218K miles WITH me beating on 'em for the past 72K... I don't know what's going on, but I can't detect any slack in them.

Garrett dragging the Steel Hippo's carcass:

IMG_2576.JPG

We got it home and pushed it into the garage. I took straight to Marketplace to start saving ads for NNBS vehicles being parted out to look for a replacement engine just in case. I gotta have this thing road trip ready for 11/9.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076