What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RooTBeeRthe1st

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put 70 bucks in the tank yesterday

I think after this one, I might get one more before I do a oil change and tire rotation-170,000
Probably actually pull the dipstick on the trans for once, but wait another 5,000 before it do a filter and change on that again.

Also Facebook reminded me a couple of days ago that I've had that Whipple supercharger sitting in boxes for 2 years now which is a pretty sad and disgusting thing to see.

And my passenger side exhaust manifold has a small leak.

Looks like just over a year ago I bought a 12 pack of filters off of Amazon for under six bucks a piece.
So yeah, that eBay price looks like a really good deal!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230207-051537.png
    Screenshot_20230207-051537.png
    84.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

RooTBeeRthe1st

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are the same.

It must be really nice to have a brand new car where everything works as designed & built.
I thought I had been hearing my driver side manifold leaking this whole time until I actually got out and checked it the other day when I could noticeably hear it while parking after beating on it(driving it hard).

Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are the same.

It must be really nice to have a brand new car where everything works as designed & built.
Those days are gone. The California and Federal regulation machines keep ratcheting up the requirements for which manufacturers must keep increasing system complexity to meet. It outstrips the financial and engineering resources of each manufacturer, preventing them from working with stable designs. The result is new cars that cannot meet the reliability or durability standards set by past generations of the same platforms.

Side note: Trucks enjoyed a relative regulatory hiatus in the 90s until 2006 which brought us the bulletproof GMT800 platform. In 2006, the Fed adopted a policy of a 2% increase in fuel economy per year for light trucks through 2011, which brought us the first generation of AFM as well as VVT, plus the hybrid SUVs. For 2012-2016 it was increased to 5% per year, hence the ever-escalating evolution of AFM to DFM, and the 3.0 diesel. GM is caught between what they know their customers want to buy, and what regulators will allow them to sell.

I'm not making any judgment about this to swing it toward a political discussion because I can see both sides of the debate and both have at least a grain or two of merit. My intention is just to share the facts behind what we're seeing play out with these trucks, and underscore the value of keeping our older trucks in tip top shape for as long as possible. It's why I don't have any faith yet that the 2021+ trucks can be maintained by owners for as long as the GMT800 + 900 trucks can be. It's also why I'm doing all I can to help the two trucks we own last another decade or longer. By then, we'll be fine with a pickup. But until then, we need a large SUV that I can maintain.

Last edited:

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those days are gone.....

It's why I don't have any faith yet that the 2021+ trucks can be maintained by owners for as long as the GMT800 + 900 trucks can be.

My tin-foil understanding is that they dump as much roadsalt and possible, and pre-treat with brine, in order to remove a consistent amount of vehicles from the roads as time moves on.

Ex: My 2005 Nissan Armada had a dead-nuts reliable drivetrain, but is too rusted out, even after years of POR15 and undercarraige carwashes, to pass state inspection. I only have it because I'm 1.) too lazy right now to have it scrapped, 2.) hope someone wants it for a Titan swap for their Xterra or Frontier, or 3.) we get a house sooner than later and need a plow rig.

It stinks paying for a car, and then paying to maintain it's body and other components when the winters actively destroy vehicular metal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
microfoxdev