What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
on the bulb connector it has 5 wires, blinker/marker/side marker/2 grounds how it is configured inside I don't know, I can get it to work if only the blinker is going, with the marker lights on it wont work.

When you say it won't work with the marker lights on... what does it do or not do exactly?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I kind of expected it to happen given how the harness is weird I could have just made it work as a blinker only but I wouldn't have had any marker lights, i will have to play with it some more I figured when I tried the last combo it was going to blow a fuse and sure enough, lol

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
goes back to hyperflashing again.

That makes no sense... something isn't right.

On my truck I ran the resistor between the turn signal positive and negative/ground.

I would be curious to see a wiring diagram for the Yukon.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it starts out as 3 wires blinker/marker/ground, then it goes into the bulb connector and 2 more wires exit to the corner marker for a total of 5
if I connect just the blinker portion it works, until the marker lights are turned on
if i connect the marker and blinker it works until the marker lights turn on
kind of weird

ness.jpg ness1.jpg ness2.jpg

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I wonder if the side marker is in that circuit in series not parallel. When the running lights are on does it flash opposite the turn signal?

BTW what year Yukon?

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey yall, remember me?! I got my truck back! (FINALLY)

I took it down to Kentucky for a trans rebuild, and dropped it off on 12/9.....got it back 4/3. Lightening service!!

Ultimately, 3 of the 4 months, I didnt really mind it being down there and taking so long. But I really started NEEDING my truck and starting pressing the mechanic a little harder.

So, just before that time, I asked that ya'll pray to the car gods and sing kumbuyah......and it seems it worked!

Here's what happened;

I found this guy on craigslist, who rebuilt and 'improved' 4L60 and 4L80 transmissions. I talked with him for quite some time, did as much research as I could on him and his shop. He is small, and doesnt have a huge footprint, so there wasn't a lot out there. A lot of my decision was done on trust and hope. Since the trans needed to be torn down to diagnose the exact cause of failure, I wanted it rebuilt because it would already be torn down. He agreed to help work through the insurance/extended warranty and I dropped off the truck.

He got it torn down, and there was no real evidence of any sort of failure outside of the pump failing. Which is why I originally took it to him. The torque converter had let go and there was debris throughout the entire trans. The insurance company, tried as they might, battled the diagnoses. Kept saying it was caused by a shift solenoid. Well, if they do that, the solenoid is an electronic part and thereby the failure would not be covered by warranty. The mechanic basically told them, "listen the customer drove it from Indiana down to [Lexington] Kentucky. It couldn't be a shift solenoid." After about 3 weeks of back and forth, they approved the claim.

We did all the final paperwork, and again after more back and forth, he was paid and the transmission work was completed. For the trans work, I paid $550 out of pocket, insurance paid ~2400, and then I paid $300 for a heavy duty custom torque converter. Not bad! This also included a new external transmission cooler, flushing the entire trans system, new lines, and a new 160 degree tstat.

Because the budget opened quite a bit, I had him work on a variety of other things, since he claimed to be a master mechanic. I had him replace the oil pan gasket and pickup tube oring. He also replaced the fan clutch. With all this new work done, I dont want the motor or trans toasted because of a worn $50 part.

I am an untrusting cynic. Do I KNOW he did all the work he claimed to have.....no. He sent me pics of the transmission torn down and all that......but I have no idea if it was even my transmission. I have to have faith that the work was done as outlined (and paid for). I'm hoping that my cynicism is false in this case.

Overall, it made the return trip home. I've been driving it daily to test it, make sure its not leaking, and it seems pretty good. Trans temp hovers between 120 and 140. Highest was on Saturday on the return trip. 80 mph on the highway in 75 degree and sunny weather, it was at 153. Fingers crossed that she holds, because if it really fails, I'd have no idea how to get it to KY.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I took it down to Kentucky for a trans rebuild, and dropped it off on 12/9.....got it back 4/3. Lightening service!!

Ultimately, 3 of the 4 months, I didnt really mind it being down there and taking so long. But I really started NEEDING my truck and starting pressing the mechanic a little harder.

So, just before that time, I asked that ya'll pray to the car gods and sing kumbuyah......and it seems it worked!

Here's what happened;

I found this guy on craigslist, who rebuilt and 'improved' 4L60 and 4L80 transmissions. I talked with him for quite some time, did as much research as I could on him and his shop. He is small, and doesnt have a huge footprint, so there wasn't a lot out there. A lot of my decision was done on trust and hope. Since the trans needed to be torn down to diagnose the exact cause of failure, I wanted it rebuilt because it would already be torn down. He agreed to help work through the insurance/extended warranty and I dropped off the truck.

He got it torn down, and there was no real evidence of any sort of failure outside of the pump failing. Which is why I originally took it to him. The torque converter had let go and there was debris throughout the entire trans. The insurance company, tried as they might, battled the diagnoses. Kept saying it was caused by a shift solenoid. Well, if they do that, the solenoid is an electronic part and thereby the failure would not be covered by warranty. The mechanic basically told them, "listen the customer drove it from Indiana down to [Lexington] Kentucky. It couldn't be a shift solenoid." After about 3 weeks of back and forth, they approved the claim.

We did all the final paperwork, and again after more back and forth, he was paid and the transmission work was completed. For the trans work, I paid $550 out of pocket, insurance paid ~2400, and then I paid $300 for a heavy duty custom torque converter. Not bad! This also included a new external transmission cooler, flushing the entire trans system, new lines, and a new 160 degree tstat.

Because the budget opened quite a bit, I had him work on a variety of other things, since he claimed to be a master mechanic. I had him replace the oil pan gasket and pickup tube oring. He also replaced the fan clutch. With all this new work done, I dont want the motor or trans toasted because of a worn $50 part.

I am an untrusting cynic. Do I KNOW he did all the work he claimed to have.....no. He sent me pics of the transmission torn down and all that......but I have no idea if it was even my transmission. I have to have faith that the work was done as outlined (and paid for). I'm hoping that my cynicism is false in this case.

Overall, it made the return trip home. I've been driving it daily to test it, make sure its not leaking, and it seems pretty good. Trans temp hovers between 120 and 140. Highest was on Saturday on the return trip. 80 mph on the highway in 75 degree and sunny weather, it was at 153. Fingers crossed that she holds, because if it really fails, I'd have no idea how to get it to KY.

Glad everything seems to have worked out Derick!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Here's what happened;

Worst case scenario, you could do what I had to do when my trans failed under warranty. Mine was done by Performabuilt in Kentucky and Im in Oregon. I chose them because they have a great reputation building 4l60’s to handle high hp applications- up to 1000hp -and I run a blower on my 6.0. I decided to race a Subaru sTi off the line and it disintegrated shifting into second. (I had him beat lol) I pulled it, removed the bell housing and tail, boxed it up and shipped it to them via UPS. They rebuilt it and shipped it back. They had it 2 days. Shipping took most of a week each way due to the distance (2700 miles) Pretty good service though. Just wanted to mention that it’s possible to ship a trans through UPS if you pack it right. You need to drain it and then double wrap it in plastic. Hope you never have to go through that, sounds like you should be ok.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019