What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mickey_7106

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is OnStar subscription required for the remote start through an app?

Replaced my Onstar roof antenna with a two-wire version that has the built-in diplexer. So last year I did the Onstar module upgrade mod to a 2011 box so my 2009 could utilize the remote start via Onstar app feature
The older Onstar box uses two wires (cellular radio, GPS). The new Onstar box only has a single antenna connection. The problem is that you will not have GPS signal as the older style roof antenna doesn’t combine the cellular and gps signal into one wire that goes to the Onstar module.
So the old fix for this was to buy the $25 diplexer module BUT that item is long out of production and the eBayers want $100+ for it. So apparently if you just buy a roof antenna from a 2011 or newer it has the diplexer built into the roof antenna assembly. So I pulled down the headliner enough so I could stuff my M18 power ratchet to remove the 10mm bolt. I carefully pulled apart the tri-connector and extracted the individual connectors. As you see in the photo, the blue wire goes to the thick coaxial cable (cellular-GPS) and the yellow wire is for the XM radio. You can figure out which wire is what on the vehicle side wiring by turning in your good time radio set to XM and it will work when it’s plugged in properly. I just plugged them into each other and secured with electrical tape so they don’t pull out. The third wire is not necessary and I taped it out of the way.
New GM antenna part #20791465 I paid $16 for it.

c05c858db2c5019e0b9e81bd0a632dbe.jpg845f0cd2d9c90f59224c8e2cd8561f98.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I Don't remember if it requires a sub or not I was using it when I bought the truck but after I had the viper system installed I uninstalled the app and haven't tried it again

trailblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They’ll give you a free three month or one month subscription to the super plan. I’m on the Safety & Security plan for like $9/mo. I’ll renew in 6mo increments as the price will go to 14.99 if I don’t threaten to cancel. I set a reminder in my phone.
Here is the deal: Pre-2011 had “Continental” branded OnStar module (located under the AM/FM radio). It is rubbish and does not allow the owner to use the cellphone app to control the vehicle. You need to buy a 2011 or newer OnStar module “LG brand” to access all functions. Maybe it was 2010 or newer but IIRC it was 2011 or newer. Here is a major factor — whatever module you install, it will appear to OnStar as that vehicle. For example, OnStar thinks I have a 2011 GMC Acadia. The module works GREAT as long as I don’t tell OnStar it’s a 2009 Tahoe. I actually tried to explain it to them but they were totally confused and insisted I have a 2011 Acadia. Here is what happens if you pay a Dealer $100+ to reprogram your 2011 or newer module to match your actual VIN: it stops working with the app. Why? Because the VIN is not allowed to work with the app. So, whatever module you buy, it will appear to be whatever car it came out of buy it will function just fine. It will show the proper mileage, tire pressure, fuel status, location, and will remote start. I’ve had complainer friends purchase a module that matches the vehicle type so they feel better. If I ever sell the car just pass that message onto the buyer. I’m going to write an explanation and insert it into the manual.

Read here for specifics:
https://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=151075.0

Breaking News. Best Buy had a fancy remote start system with free install AND free GPS/LTE data module for $300. It has a subscription that is like $3/mo if you buy 3-5yr prepaid plan. Way cheaper way to consider! Checkout slickdeals.net for the front page deal from last week. <update: deal expired>

Reaction score
Is OnStar subscription required for the remote start through an app?
Yes, but you don't need the full on safety/security subscription. You can get just the Remote Access Plan that gives you Remote Keyfob, Vehicle Locate, and Vehicle Status, for like $9 a month

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

trailblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They gave me the Safety & Security plan for $9 for free. Even the lady on the phone told me to call back a few days before the plan expires to “renew” for the same price. OnStar is quite arbitrary with their pricing. My old Caddy had the super plan for $17/mo for one year. I liked the turn by turn directions better than google maps or a Garmin.

Here is the crappy part. If you would have done this upgrade prior to late last Spring you would have got THREE FREE YEARS of the app! I just missed the cutoff and got a few months free. Any new owner gets a 1-3mos free to test it out.

There are caveats. Read that link above from the Avalanche forum. I think if you have a crappy LS you might have to go through hoops to get it to work. My LT3 already came with the AP3 RPO (long range remote start). I’ll have to refresh my mind on which modules are excluded. My wife had an LS pickup and I think it’s a PITA to get the newer OnStar module to work properly as hers didn’t come with a remote start at all (there are two RPO’s for remote start).

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They’ll give you a free three month or one month subscription to the super plan. I’m on the Safety & Security plan for like $9/mo. I’ll renew in 6mo increments as the price will go to 14.99 if I don’t threaten to cancel. I set a reminder in my phone.
Here is the deal: Pre-2011 had “Continental” branded OnStar module (located under the AM/FM radio). It is rubbish and does not allow the owner to use the cellphone app to control the vehicle. You need to buy a 2011 or newer OnStar module “LG brand” to access all functions. Maybe it was 2010 or newer but IIRC it was 2011 or newer. Here is a major factor — whatever module you install, it will appear to OnStar as that vehicle. For example, OnStar thinks I have a 2011 GMC Acadia. The module works GREAT as long as I don’t tell OnStar it’s a 2009 Tahoe. I actually tried to explain it to them but they were totally confused and insisted I have a 2011 Acadia. Here is what happens if you pay a Dealer $100+ to reprogram your 2011 or newer module to match your actual VIN: it stops working with the app. Why? Because the VIN is not allowed to work with the app. So, whatever module you buy, it will appear to be whatever car it came out of buy it will function just fine. It will show the proper mileage, tire pressure, fuel status, location, and will remote start. I’ve had complainer friends purchase a module that matches the vehicle type so they feel better. If I ever sell the car just pass that message onto the buyer. I’m going to write an explanation and insert it into the manual.

Read here for specifics:
https://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=151075.0

Breaking News. Best Buy had a fancy remote start system with free install AND free GPS/LTE data module for $300. It has a subscription that is like $3/mo if you buy 3-5yr prepaid plan. Way cheaper way to consider! Checkout slickdeals.net for the front page deal from last week. <update: deal expired>

Pretty badass..!

Reaction score
Used it to pick up a new garage heater from the hardware store.

I currently have an old Lennox 110k btu input (88k output) home furnace hanging from the 10' ceiling to about 4' off the ground near the center of the back wall. It's getting old, was there when I bought the house 22 years ago and runs off a 120 gal propane tank I have behind the garage. I'm tired of it hanging down in the way and having to work around it (I currently have my tool chests/carts positioned under and around it.)

Bought a 80k btu Mr. Heater Big Maxx made to mount up high and only hangs down 18" from the ceiling and also doesn't have a pilot light to worry about :cheers:

So much smaller and much more efficient!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645