What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't think I have that part. Yes, it's an LT.

So is there anything else I will need before I order the radiator? Besides fluid that is.

Driver's side and passenger side pics if that helps72d89239a9b70a545a33ff3dfc25c840.jpg0e84f7533e1c8119feb40977d7f9c1b0.jpg
you might want to pick up a little pick set to get the little clips on the transmission lines off but other than that no everything just unbolts/unclamps/unclips and then it all goes back on.
pretty easy job, take off the bottom radiator hose and unscrew the cap off the reservoir, then just take off the intake tube, take the connectors off of the electric fans, unbolt the trans lines from the fan shroud, take off the upper radiator hose from the radiator and push it aside, then just unbolt the fans and pull them out, then you can take off the other smaller hoses from the radiator and push them aside, then disconnect the trans lines and push them aside *(you might have to take those off before the fan shroud comes out, don't remember off hand), you will loose a few spoon fulls of trans fluid but nothing to worry about, then you can unbolt the radiator and pull it out. put the new radiator in, everything else goes back on, don't put the trans lines back on until you put the electric fans back in, they will just push on and snap in the new radiator will have clips for them already. fill it and burp it, run the engine and let it get up to normal temp and top it off. it helps if you fill it with the front end of the truck on a slight incline that way any air will just come out on it's own.
just refer to your pictures so you will see how the hoses go back on, the smallest one under the intake tube and the next bigger one over the top of the intake tube.
on the trans lines where they go into the radiator you will see little black round plastic covers you can just pull those back a couple inches to get to the clips, when you are done just push them back into place.

CHOO CHOO

BackPagePhil
Reaction score
you might want to pick up a little pick set to get the little clips on the transmission lines off but other than that no everything just unbolts/unclamps/unclips and then it all goes back on.
pretty easy job, take off the bottom radiator hose and unscrew the cap off the reservoir, then just take off the intake tube, take the connectors off of the electric fans, unbolt the trans lines from the fan shroud, take off the upper radiator hose from the radiator and push it aside, then just unbolt the fans and pull them out, then you can take off the other smaller hoses from the radiator and push them aside, then disconnect the trans lines and push them aside *(you might have to take those off before the fan shroud comes out, don't remember off hand), you will loose a few spoon fulls of trans fluid but nothing to worry about, then you can unbolt the radiator and pull it out. put the new radiator in, everything else goes back on, don't put the trans lines back on until you put the electric fans back in, they will just push on and snap in the new radiator will have clips for them already. fill it and burp it, run the engine and let it get up to normal temp and top it off. it helps if you fill it with the front end of the truck on a slight incline that way any air will just come out on it's own.
just refer to your pictures so you will see how the hoses go back on, the smallest one under the intake tube and the next bigger one over the top of the intake tube.
on the trans lines where they go into the radiator you will see little black round plastic covers you can just pull those back a couple inches to get to the clips, when you are done just push them back into place.
Deal, I'll pick up another bottle of coolant. I briefly watch the youtube video and the guy said a pair of pliers/channel locks would work for those clamps. Or do I need a "pick".

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deal, I'll pick up another bottle of coolant. I briefly watch the youtube video and the guy said a pair of pliers/channel locks would work for those clamps. Or do I need a "pick".
there kind a pain in my opinion but if you have some needle nose pliers and a smaller poker tip tool you can get them out, auto parts or sears or harbor freight will typically have a 3 piece pick tool set, one will be straight, one with a 90deg tip, and one with a little hook tip, those always come in handy and there cheap.

just like these
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-PC-Hook-...7kAAOSw-a5dhqS4:sc:USPSFirstClass!95219!US!-1

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the hose clamps will come off with channel locks, pliers yes, the little trans lines clips are the ones I meant to have the pick set for.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once you have your small flathead screwdriver or pick in place to pop off that trans line clip, toss a rag over it cuz they usually fly once they release. You can snap them back in place in the fitting so when you push the pipe back into them, it'll click when they're fully seated. As always, tug test all connections to ensure they're secure.

If the ends of the clip are flared outward (and I think they are), you can just wrap a rag around the fitting, maybe put the edge of the rag down in the groove where the clip is, pull it tight and slide it around kinda like how a shoeshiner would polish the toe of a shoe. The idea is to get the rag to snag the clip and pull it out while simultaneously containing it. This is the same trick used to remove the clips behind a window crank handle.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once you have your small flathead screwdriver or pick in place to pop off that trans line clip, toss a rag over it cuz they usually fly once they release. You can snap them back in place in the fitting so when you push the pipe back into them, it'll click when they're fully seated. As always, tug test all connections to ensure they're secure.

If the ends of the clip are flared outward (and I think they are), you can just wrap a rag around the fitting, maybe put the edge of the rag down in the groove where the clip is, pull it tight and slide it around kinda like how a shoeshiner would polish the toe of a shoe. The idea is to get the rag to snag the clip and pull it out while simultaneously containing it. This is the same trick used to remove the clips behind a window crank handle.
The new radiator should have new clips on it already, but good call they do tend to fly off into never never land, lol

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new radiator should have new clips on it already, but good call they do tend to fly off into never never land, lol

True, especially if it's a GM radiator. I've often bought Spectra and I had to transfer the fittings from the original rad to the new one. Now that I think of it, this was probably more of a thing with the aftermarket rads for the domestic makes of vehicles.