What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Essentially the same as what I'm currently doing. Just looking for an approach that allows the attachment of a hose to simplify draining into an empty jug.

The punch & drain method works good, just when the oil stream gets thin, any kind of wind will risk blowing it around making a small mess. Currently to reduce that I try to get a jug & funnel up as close as I can to the punched filter.
Yeah, blowing of the thin oil stream can make a mess. For this reason I stopped doing it in the driveway and make sure to do it in the garage

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I basically do the same thing, but use a punch that's pointy on the end. I use a hammer and tap it into the center of the bottom of the filter. The punch is about 1/4"-3/8" diameter and doesn't get messy/leak oil until I wiggle it to pull it out. If I do it swift enough it just has a small run of oil down it that a paper towel in hand while doing it takes care of. I then go inside and let it drain for 5-10 minutes. When removing the filter, no oil runs over the edges and down the sides, very clean proceedure.

The punch is like this, about 6" long, and I put it in all the way to the start of the knurled part, so about 2" into the filter35986232ae9497ccf113b4505e772398.jpg

Known as a nail set tool, used to countersink finishing nails (and pierce oil filters, just not advertised for that). Available just about anywhere.

41OuNQ4YrML._SY450_.jpg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My current approach works fairly good.

However ever since I came across this video, I've been determined to find something like it. So far, no luck. Probably have to make my own.

The poster of that video was apparently making them and selling them on eBay, but has since disappeared.

I like the idea of that and it'd be simple for someone in a machine shop to make up. My concern is the shock from the hammering on our cast aluminum pans.

Hi-psi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of that and it'd be simple for someone in a machine shop to make up. My concern is the shock from the hammering on our cast aluminum pans.

I'd imagine fairly minimal. You only need to pierce the thin metal of the filter. Doesn't need to be a homerun swing of a BFH (big #$*(&# hammer).

PLENTY of people are already doing the same thing, just with a screwdriver, punch, icepick, etc. The video above just makes the result a lot cleaner.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PLENTY of people are already doing the same thing, just with a screwdriver, punch, icepick, etc.

You have a point there. I'm just really skittish at the thought with the few threads that have popped up recently about cracked pans. Granted, at least one is obviously due to some sort of misalignment.

Reaction score
Does the filter mount to the pan or the block?

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuckchill