What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

camaroz2887

Reaction score
Leo looks like u could have a dual alternator bracket. Not that I’m saying it definitely is but looks like it. Unless a previous owner had to relocate a pulley for something like a supercharger.

the_tool_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...They are only supposed to be installed until the gasket touches (no wobble when screwing in) then 3/4 - 1 full turn past that.

I chose my words carefully. Snug, not tight. If it's over-tightened, it can leak around the gasket.

I am always skeptical about leaving it so loose. I'm worried it will fall off and ruin my engine when it doesn't have oil. I hand tighten it, then use the wrench to give it a few more turns. Maybe 1/2 a turn or a bit more.

^^^THIS^^^

My daughter just had to have the engine in her car replaced by a "mechanic" who didn't properly tighten the oil filter when he changed her oil. I don't trust hand tight. That's especially true on the LS, where I can't really even grip the filter very well with my big, fat hands because so much of it is shrouded by the oil pan.

Reaction score
I chose my words carefully. Snug, not tight. If it's over-tightened, it can leak around the gasket.

^^^THIS^^^

My daughter just had to have the engine in her car replaced by a "mechanic" who didn't properly tighten the oil filter when he changed her oil. I don't trust hand tight. That's especially true on the LS, where I can't really even grip the filter very well with my big, fat hands because so much of it is shrouded by the oil pan.
Instructions on the oil filter or box say 3/4-1 turn past gasket contact.

I've been doing my filters hand tight (using 1 hand, usually only gets about 1 turn past gasket contact) on all my vehicles for 30 some-odd years with no problems or leaks.

Here's a discussion about this over on bobistheoilguy.com

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2759337/Re:_Proper_Oil_Filter_Tighteni

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bison1

Latest posts