What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd rather have the smaller duals then the Y pipe and 3.5" single pipe that's on mine. Y pipes, leading into ANY size pipe, efficient or not, doesn't sound as good in comparison to a nice true dual setup, haha. On another note, weren't the GMT800 Denali 2.5" true to the muffler?

I think so. In my racing days we had a y-pipe because of the turbocharger but after that it split and went into a crossflow muffler which I maintained on some cars or went to dual mufflers on others. Either way, there were two exhaust pipes, one on each side which I like. However, those cars were fueled from the rear and I wouldn't want to burn or soil our clothes while trying to full up unless we got into the habit of standing by the tire. I'm in no hurry so such thoughts have been placed on the back burner.

Those Cadillac rear duals look cool and I wonder if that would translate to a Yukon XL with a full size spare.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced all four sway bar bushings. Took about an hour total- I don't know what @swathdiver's problem is :p. I'd go for a test drive but now I wanna get involved in other things. More to come...

Rust! That's my problem! Rotten Yankee rust!!! LOL

It's permanently fixed now, just not pretty. In my buddies barn, we took a piece of scrap metal and made it into a tab, then he welded it to the end of the swaybar bracket and drilled a hole through it and the frame (I cringed) and then used a nut and bolt to secure it. So far so good, been off road and it didn't break. But someday I'd like to get that old busted bolt out and make it look like it never even happened.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After replacing those sway bar bushings, I decided it was time for some simple aesthetic improvements.

I christened my new heat gun by using it to shave the finger pad off the back glass.

Before:

IMG_1590[1].JPG

After:

IMG_1594[1].JPG

^^^ Oh yeah, I continued on by peeling off that scratched "chromed" bow tie...

... And painting it with some ACDelco touch-up spray paint I found late one night in a dusty corner of teh interwebz. I used some clear coat I got from an auto paint supply store a few years ago. Last time I tried this stuff it made the color really hazy so I practiced on a spare broken mirror cap. Pleasantly surprised, I proceeded and am very happy with the results! The clear laid deep and flat. No orange peel:

bowtie(2).jpeg

The color is plenty close enough to this OEM color-keyed door handle. The bowtie looks to have a very slight bronze tint to it by comparison and this pic makes it stand out worse than it does in person. It'll completely blend in with the body once installed and you'd have to really be looking for a difference:

bowtie.jpeg

...Which brings me to revealing another little surprise. I stumbled upon a full set of nearly-perfect OEM Graystone Metallic door handles about a week ago on ebay. My guess is they were taken off when nearly new to be replaced by chrome ones and were stored ever since. I wasn't totally in the market cuz I planned on trading someone their color-matched handles and mirror caps for my chrome LTZ pieces. But the deal for these new ones was way too good to pass up. Buying them is what prompted me to buy that touch-up paint so I could paint the mirror caps.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Temporarily stuck it in place for pics:

IMG_1595.JPG

IMG_1596.JPG

IMG_1597.JPG

IMG_1598.JPG

I'm wondering if I should've left that outer part chrome. I may fill the thin area between the outer edge and raised center with gloss black. Since I'm doing away with all the chrome, I think I'll just do that black line.

shreksbrother

Full Access Member
Reaction score

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love the monochromatic look without the chrome!

Sent from my Galaxy Note9 using Tapatalk

Thank ya! Yeah, after more thought, I'm definitely not gonna have the chrome outer edge. I'd have to find a stock bow tie and start all over again for that and then it would stick out cuz I'm de-chroming the whole thing. I'm still considering painting that thin recessed area gloss black. It kinda looks like when body shops paint a replacement panel but are too lazy to remove the badging/emblems. I think the gloss black will make it look more "intentional" and contrast better since I plan to get black wheels at some point.

shreksbrother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank ya! Yeah, after more thought, I'm definitely not gonna have the chrome outer edge. I'd have to find a stock bow tie and start all over again for that and then it would stick out cuz I'm de-chroming the whole thing. I'm still considering painting that thin recessed area gloss black. It kinda looks like when body shops paint a replacement panel but are too lazy to remove the badging/emblems. I think the gloss black will make it look more "intentional" and contrast better since I plan to get black wheels at some point.
Go for it! You can always reshoot it if it looks crappy [emoji16]

Sent from my Galaxy Note9 using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Speardog