What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ncalvo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How hard is it to disassemble and clean an original starter.. Is it worth cleaning up or just replacing. Not having any issues but it is very dirty and have to remove it for access to crank sensor

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
How hard is it to disassemble and clean an original starter.. Is it worth cleaning up or just replacing. Not having any issues but it is very dirty and have to remove it for access to crank sensor
Replace it. If you don’t, it’ll fail as soon as you get it all back together. Getting it back in is a little bit harder, but very manageable.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace it. If you don’t, it’ll fail as soon as you get it all back together. Getting it back in is a little bit harder, but very manageable.
Dirty outside or in the gear works area on the inside?
If dirty on the inside, why? Rear main seal leaking into flywheel housing?

Tips: Jack it up on a stand, remove the wheel. Pop the plastic fender liner and fold it back out of the way. Makes for much easier access getting hands on it from bottom and the side that way.
Yes it can be done on the driveway from the bottom without doing any of that, but why make things harder if you don't have to...

Starter is easy enough to remove and install. If nothing wrong with it, I'd keep running with it. Old originals are good until they die and may last longer than you expect. Might be better to have an old one rather than a new reman. starter.

ncalvo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dirty outside or in the gear works area on the inside?
If dirty on the inside, why? Rear main seal leaking into flywheel housing?

Tips: Jack it up on a stand, remove the wheel. Pop the plastic fender liner and fold it back out of the way. Makes for much easier access getting hands on it from bottom and the side that way.
Yes it can be done on the driveway from the bottom without doing any of that, but why make things harder if you don't have to...

Starter is easy enough to remove and install. If nothing wrong with it, I'd keep running with it. Old originals are good until they die and may last longer than you expect. Might be better to have an old one rather than a new reman. starter.
I had a leaking rear main last year, since been fixed. Going to be replacing several things including crankshaft sensor above the starter so that's the time while I am in there to decide. Deciding between keep original, new acdelco starter, reman acdelco, or reman denso

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unbolting and moving the starter out of the way is different then totally removing it. In my 4WD to get the starter out I have to try a gazillion different ways to get it to drop down sometimes I get it quickly sometimes it seems to take forever to get it down so I can disconnect the wires. As far as cleaning it, shoot some degreaser on it call it done.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought removal and install of replacement was easy, especially since I took the wheel off and opened up access through the fender liner. I was done pretty quick and don't recall struggling to disconnect wires, get them out or back into position.
Was like a half hour tops.

But yes, if just cleaning... I agree.
Unbolt it and just swing it out of the way. Be sure the battery is disconnected, so you don't arc out on anything while moving it around. Spray it down and run it.

ncalvo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So recently had my tahoe tuned and had them do an e85 delete. I unplugged the sensor, now I am getting a code p0178.. hate seeing that CEL

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Make sure you remove the oil dip stick, it will make your life easier to remove the starter

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Does anyone have a subscription to Alldatadiy? I need the wiring diagram for the starter circuits

05 Yukon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tomcoop