What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should have put new axel nuts on mine too? I was watching some engine rebuild videos and some of them were saying you had to buy new head bolts or something too.
head bolts are TTY, you need to stretch the piss out of em when you install them. new head bolts are rather cheap. unless you buy ARP head studs, those are re usable. but also run a few hundred bucks.

most other bolts that are tty can be re used.

Teamiez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Final Colorado update!

Yesterday evening we drove south and hit Geneva Creek(?). We found a mild trail on AllTrails listed "Geneva Creek Iron Fens", and we hit it about 5.30.

It had snowed up there about 4 inches already when we started up and it was a gorgeous drive. A ways up the trail we saw the biggest coyote I've ever seen, and the clearest view I've ever seen of one alive in the wild. There were tracks in the snow that looked like a pack was likely close. You can see part of the tracks in the first picture.

We made it *almost* to 10,000 feet when the snow started up again and pretty strong. 5 minutes further up the trail we would've made it, but at 9,950 feet we turned around. It was only about 30 degrees, but the missus was nervous about spending the night on the mountain and it was about half an hour from being dark. Definitely somewhere I'd want to revisit next time we're in the state.

We're back on the road towards home today. We've almost crossed Kansas ("The Long Flat"). A weird place for a fella who grew up in the mountains. The windmills fill me with a weird anxiety in my chest. Too much rotating mass, I think. We're gonna drive a few more hours and then hunker down at a rest stop for the night.
View attachment 352678

View attachment 352679

View attachment 352680
Can’t wait for some winter snow fun here in WNY

Teamiez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parked mine today. Got a "Check oil Level" message on my instrument cluster. Checked my dipstick and the oil level was only a half quart low. Topped it off and the light is still on. I also noticed upon acceleration, I'm hear a very slight "diesel engine" type of pinging. Sounds similar to the Piston Slap that these engine get when they are cold. So I got spooked thing it's starved for oil, and I parked it till I can investigate further.
Maybe a bad sensor? Hopefully something easy...only time mine went on was when I went a full interval without topping off and as soon as the light appeared there was barely anything on the dip stick. Pining maybe your exhaust manifolds are starting to show there age?

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe a bad sensor? Hopefully something easy...only time mine went on was when I went a full interval without topping off and as soon as the light appeared there was barely anything on the dip stick. Pining maybe your exhaust manifolds are starting to show there age?
Hoping it's just a bad sensor. I can remember if the oil pan needs to be removed or not in order to replace the oil level sensor. I should also mention that I usually run Amsoil and change the oil every 5k miles. But due to time and money constraints, I used Super-Tech full synthetic from Walmart with all intentions of changing it in about few hundred miles or less. It's been about 2k miles on that oil now. I never run cheap oil, so I'm having thoughts that maybe it gummed up the oil level sensor? Or did the sensor just happen to fail? My truck is 20yrs old and that IS the original sensor as far as I know, unless it was replaced before 50k miles, because that's how long I've owned this truck. Bought it in 2005 with with 52k miles on it.

Teamiez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hoping it's just a bad sensor. I can remember if the oil pan needs to be removed or not in order to replace the oil level sensor. I should also mention that I usually run Amsoil and change the oil every 5k miles. But due to time and money constraints, I used Super-Tech full synthetic from Walmart with all intentions of changing it in about few hundred miles or less. It's been about 2k miles on that oil now. I never run cheap oil, so I'm having thoughts that maybe it gummed up the oil level sensor? Or did the sensor just happen to fail? My truck is 20yrs old and that IS the original sensor as far as I know, unless it was replaced before 50k miles, because that's how long I've owned this truck. Bought it in 2005 with with 52k miles on it.
I truly wouldn’t blame the super tech, I believe it’s produced by warren.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I HAD good oil pressure, so I decided to go ahead and drive it to work. Wife has a LOT of stuff to do today, so I felt bad taking her car. Ran it in the driveway for 2 minutes and oil pressure was good, and made absolutely no abnormal noises or chattering or anything so I figured I was good. IMG_20211016_143336728.jpg So I make the 6 mile drive to work all is okay until I pull into the parking garage at work. I pulled onto the 6th floor and the engine hesitated or stumbled for a split second, and almost immediately the warning light switches from "Check Eng Oil Level" to "Check Oil Pressure", AND the oil pressure gauge pegged all the way to zero. I drove it a few more feet just long enough to get to the next empty parking spot and IMMEDIATELY shut the engine off. I kind of panicked for a second, then restarted the engine and thankfully I didn't hear any horrible noises, so I most likely didn't damage anything by starving it for oil.
My lovely wife is helping out by scheduling a tow truck to come pick it up. Might cost a bit more since it's on the 6th floor of the parking garage, AND it's low clearance. They need be able to grab it with a truck that can still tow under 7ft clearance. Hell, my truck can barely fit driving let alone being towed. My truck stands at about 6 and a half feet tall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons